How long will this last (jack dempsey and festivum)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Vpb1oz9.jpg

I have the 2 of them in a growout tank for now, and plan on buying a bigger tank sometime next week when my new heater comes in.

My jack is about 3.5-4", and the festivum is about 3-3.5".

I can't keep any live plants because the festivum tears them up (I actually only moved it here because it was chewing my plants in my 29g) and I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I intend to keep the hardscape roughly as is.

My jack is really shy. I've had him for about 3 weeks. I had caves in there for a while and he would hide occasionally. I removed them when he stopped using them. Now he's a bit more out and about, and will occasionally chase the festivum around. I've also seen them swim up next to each other, and even seen the festivum nip at the dorsal of the jack!

So my question, would these 2 be ok as the only inhabitants long-term? Or am I better off just removing the festiuvm now and leaving the jack alone? Another reason for moving the festivum was my jack was hiding a lot and tried to get him more comfortable. Black skirts nipped at him, so I removed them and placed the festivum.

I have the 2 of them in a growout tank for now, and plan on buying a bigger tank sometime next week when my new heater comes in.

My jack is about 3.5-4", and the festivum is about 3-3.5".

I can't keep any live plants because the festivum tears them up (I actually only moved it here because it was chewing my plants in my 29g) and I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I intend to keep the hardscape roughly as is.

My jack is really shy. I've had him for about 3 weeks. I had caves in there for a while and he would hide occasionally. I removed them when he stopped using them. Now he's a bit more out and about, and will occasionally chase the festivum around. I've also seen them swim up next to each other, and even seen the festivum nip at the dorsal of the jack!

So my question, would these 2 be ok as the only inhabitants long-term? Or am I better off just removing the festiuvm now and leaving the jack alone? Another reason for moving the festivum was my jack was hiding a lot and tried to get him more comfortable. Black skirts nipped at him, so I removed them and placed the festivum.

I personally would leave the jack and get some rocks. Also if you wanted to get a pleco.

Is the tank only 29 gallons? A jack needs at least a 55 in the long run.

I personally would leave the jack and get some rocks. Also if you wanted to get a pleco.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing. The jack was picked on by some black skirts, and although he chases the festivum around when he enters his space, the festivum is a sneaky bastard and nips his dorsal fin and swims off in a dash. A small part of the jack's dorsal was frayed when I came home tonight so it's time for the festivum to go.

Is the tank only 29 gallons? A jack needs at least a 55 in the long run.

That's a 20 long, and I'm moving him to a 29g this weekend or the beginning of next week. I read a lot of different owner experiences with jacks and it seems lately a lot of aquarium raised jacks reach 7-8" max size, and take 2-3 years to reach that size. He's still a baby at under 4" so he has some time before a 55 is needed. He will always be over-filtered and religiously water-changed so there's no need to worry.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing. The jack was picked on by some black skirts, and although he chases the festivum around when he enters his space, the festivum is a sneaky bastard and nips his dorsal fin and swims off in a dash. A small part of the jack's dorsal was frayed when I came home tonight so it's time for the festivum to go.

That's a 20 long, and I'm moving him to a 29g this weekend or the beginning of next week. I read a lot of different owner experiences with jacks and it seems lately a lot of aquarium raised jacks reach 7-8" max size, and take 2-3 years to reach that size. He's still a baby at under 4" so he has some time before a 55 is needed. He will always be over-filtered and religiously water-changed so there's no need to worry.

Water quality isn't the issue, it's lack of space to grow, which can cause stunting. Fish grown in a small tank for too long usually won't reach their full potential, and this will cause sometimes severe health issues. Stunting is basically when the body stops growing, but the organs can continue to grow, a slow and painful death. I'd skip the 29 and move it straight to a 55 at least

Back
Top Bottom