How maby gbr in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjensen187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have a 30gal tank and in curious as to how many gbr I can put in there. I have one gbr now and I think he's awesome and would love to get a electric blue ram and also a gold ram but not sure if it's a good idea to put an odd number or different colored rams together. Also how many would be comfortable in a 30gal? I plan to add some shrimp and possibly a dwarf gourami or something else too. I wanna keep a blue fish scheme going but also don't want to overpopulate. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

id say about 6-8 with a max two males. i dont know about the gourami, but maybe it would work. ppl will say no thats too many gbr, but it should keep aggression down and they would be fine as long as u managed the bioload.

shrimp should be fine. what about a small pleco or something? maybe theres a blue one or something that only hits 6ins.

I've seen most sites say 20gal to a pair. I want to do 2 German blue rams, 1 gold ram, and 1 electric blue ram. Maybe 1male and 3 females.

Not sure what I'll do for bottoms feeders.

I would recommend only two rams and filling the space with other fish. That also depends on the footprint of the tank. A tall tank would deffinately only be two rams. If it's a long you may be able to get away with two pairs. I personally have a 29g and have a pair of rams, cardinal tetras and panda cories. It seems like it's fairly empty but once the rams grow it won't look that way as they get up to 3" not to mention the other fish will all grow aswell. As for a gourami, I don't know how that will work as they tend to occupy the same tank area as rams. So in a long I'd say a pair of rams and the gourami then add some schooling fish, tetras are said to be they best, neons or cardinals would satisfy your blue requirement. In a tall would be the same minus the gourami.

And if you do go for two pairs of rams get 2 male 2 female, they form monogamous pairs so the extra females won't really serve a point. Once they pair they are cool to watch, they almost always swim side by side.

6-8 is way too many. I'd probably only do a single pair in a 30g personally, especially if you plan to have tankmates.

I"ve mixed electric blue and gold rams together and they tended to stay with their own color but will pair up together if they don't have any other options.

Back
Top Bottom