How many African Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freakgecko91 said:
I just don't think a 30 gallon is a good idea for africans (minus certain species)...good luck...you may have a blood bath on your hands once they reach sexual maturity

Yeah that's why I wanna know what happens :) he might get lucky!

Fishie said:
Yeah that's why I wanna know what happens :) he might get lucky!

I got pretty lucky, if you want to take thenrisk just know what could possibly happen. Just because i got lucky doesnt mean u will, just gotta make that point clear. There are some small ones from lake tanganyka that could work, but he careful because some from that lake
Get massive

We're saying that it more than likely won't work out in your favor...30 gallons is just not enough space for territories to be established and aggression will more than likely be the downfall of the tank

There are many other cichlids that would work in a tank that size though! Look into shell dwelling cichlids, namely the genus neolamprologus and lamprologus :) also look into kribensis and nannacara, dwarf African cichlids

Freakgecko91 said:
There are many other cichlids that would work in a tank that size though! Look into shell dwelling cichlids, namely the genus neolamprologus and lamprologus :) also look into kribensis and nannacara, dwarf African cichlids

Ah... Kribensis. AKA the East African River Rabbits. Seriously consider having only 1 unless you have a lot of friends that want cichlids. I do love having them in one of my tanks, but I have seriously considered giving them all away due to their affinity for reproducing.

Ah... Kribensis. AKA the East African River Rabbits. Seriously consider having only 1 unless you have a lot of friends that want cichlids. I do love having them in one of my tanks, but I have seriously considered giving them all away due to their affinity for reproducing.

hahaha.....ok.

I hope that setup goes well for u bud but i also have a question for the community im redoing my 55gal with peacock cichlids how many would be ideal without over or under stocking? The guy at the lfs has his tanks maxed out but the fish look very healthy and happy i just dont want overcrowding and what would be some good tank mates as part of the clean up crew?

Renn1206 said:
I hope that setup goes well for u bud but i also have a question for the community im redoing my 55gal with peacock cichlids how many would be ideal without over or under stocking? The guy at the lfs has his tanks maxed out but the fish look very healthy and happy i just dont want overcrowding and what would be some good tank mates as part of the clean up crew?

You really should start your own thread as its rude and disrespectful to hijack someone else's thread.

I apologize didnt mean any disrespect ill start my own thread

bud29 said:
OK, my problem is that the tag where I can buy them just says 'african cichlids.' How do I tell which is which? All I can really remember is that most of them were almost solid orange.

PetSmart?

help need tank stocking advise

hello every body need help have 2 tank they are both cycled. A 55 gallon and a 45 gallon. i really want a cichlids from my 55 transferd to my 45 because its in my room and will get more enjoyment out of it. i have 2 jewels, 2 assorted cichlids, 2 peacocks, and 1 arutus cichlid in my 55, but i only want 1 jewel the 2 assorted cichlids, 1 peacock, and the 1 arutus transfred i have 325 gph on it the tank is a 45 gallon tall and i also want dither fish (zebra danios) my water comes out the tap a 8.4 ph and hard. I also want to turn the 55 into a south american cichlid tank any advise on that aw well. thanxs

lucky3y13 said:
hello every body need help have 2 tank they are both cycled. A 55 gallon and a 45 gallon. i really want a cichlids from my 55 transferd to my 45 because its in my room and will get more enjoyment out of it. i have 2 jewels, 2 assorted cichlids, 2 peacocks, and 1 arutus cichlid in my 55, but i only want 1 jewel the 2 assorted cichlids, 1 peacock, and the 1 arutus transfred i have 325 gph on it the tank is a 45 gallon tall and i also want dither fish (zebra danios) my water comes out the tap a 8.4 ph and hard. I also want to turn the 55 into a south american cichlid tank any advise on that aw well. thanxs

Post a new thread, please, rather than shifting the direction of this thread.

sorry i did start a new thread check it out need all the input i can get.

Back
Top Bottom