How many CA/SA cichlids in a 125g gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would this be a good amount of fish in the aquarium?

1 Gold Severum
1 Jaguar Cichlid
1 Blood Parrot
1 Jack Dempsey
2 Black Convicts (not breeding them)
1 Red Devil

The tanks is around 70"(width) 18"(depth) and 20"(height)

That mix won't work. In my opinion the jag or red devil with maybe the cons would work but with a jag OR red devil you never know. The severums are too mild tempered.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would this amount of fish work in such a size of aquarium? I will worry about tank mates after I know how much fish I can have.

I would say the jaguar need a 125 to him self
red devil 75G
These two most likely will claim the entire tank as theirs and stress or kill the rest.
Drop both of these and the rest may work in the 125 with lots of water changes.
I would first decide which fish is your favorite then go from there.

Are Jaguars more aggressive than Jack Dempseys? I've never had a Jaguar before.

What I really want is a Severum, 2 Convicts, a Jack, and a Parrot. I've kept all except for a Severum.

That may work. A male jag can reach 14+ inches and is very aggressive.

In my opinion a jack Dempsey don't stand a chance against a jag.

I think you might be able to pull off the Dempsey, 2 female convicts and a parrot in that set up. Maybe even a couple severum and a Dempsey or parrot, but like mikem691 mentioned, the overwhelming size and typical nature of a jag makes it a poor candidate for any sort of community setting under 250g.

what am I doing?

How about an Oscar instead of a Red Devil and Jaguar? It's usually the Oscar that gets beat up from either one from what I've read.

Oscars get pretty big, it's not unheard of for them to reach 15 inches in an aquarium, and though they are much more docile than most large Amazon cichlids, some feisty young adult oscars are prone to trying to eat tank mates they think can fit in their mouths ?. I wouldn't recommend housing sa/ca cichlids larger than 8 inches in communities of 125g.

what am I doing?

And any thoughts on a Red Texas instead of a Red Devil or Jaguar?

Yeah, I'm fine with that. I do that with my 90 gallon goldfish tank.

Then you might be able to, just make sure to introduce them as juveniles and try to keep them from having direct line vision from one side of your tank to the other and of course, keep an eye out ?

what am I doing?

Feel free to post anything about my configuration. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the Cichlids I have never kept.

I suggest that you sit down and study these stock options a bit more before you start buying fish. The 125g is 55g of the 6' tank world. While the water volume is pretty good you can't keep as many fish as you'd think.

I suggest keeping breeding pairs that get 6-10" with a few target fish or a single larger show specimen that gets 12-16" with dithers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you think the 150 gallon New World cichlid tank that Kgtropicals had was the right amount of fish?

They had 2 Red Devils, 1 Jack, 1 Oscar, 1 Pleco, 1 Gar, and 1 Jaguar.

They were aggression issues eventually, but I'm keeping that out of this.

I have a 130G which currently has;

1 Oscar - 9"
1 Rivulatus - 5"
1 Male Con - 4.5"
1 Male Sajica - 4"
1 Firemouth - 5"
1 EBJD - 4"
1 Texas - 3"
1 Bala Shark - 5"
+ silver dollars and several bottom dwellers

I don't have problems with water as I have filtration for 200 Gallons and perform 15% weekly water changes.

I am aware though that I might have to move a couple of the smaller cichlids in a few months, but that should happen when I move house and set up a couple of smaller tanks that I don't have running at the moment.

If I were you I'd turn the 90 gallon into another cichlid tank and then you could split between the 2. I'd personally not bother with the Jag as they get very big and territorial and wouldn't bother with the Severums ad they will cower away in such company (IME).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you think the 150 gallon New World cichlid tank that Kgtropicals had was the right amount of fish?

They had 2 Red Devils, 1 Jack, 1 Oscar, 1 Pleco, 1 Gar, and 1 Jaguar.

There were aggression issues eventually, but I'm keeping that out of this.

You've answered your own question in red, not to mention water quality issues as most of those fish are prone to HLLE. That is hands down the most ignorant amount of fish I've seen in a 150g.

Back
Top Bottom