How many chiclids in a 200 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloverlef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 200gal. Community cichlids tank that has been up and running great for three months. I now have baby's coming into the picture and need to know how many I should keep with out over populating the tank. I have 38 adults and now have approx. 10 baby's. I know the rule of thump is 1" of fish per. gal. Does that apply to cichlids to.

The rule of 1 Inch of fish per gallon is a joke to me lol. And no it doesn't apply to cichlids because they are usually a thicker fish, more territorial, and they produce more waste than small community fish

I would take aqadvisor with a grain of salt.

Also the rule of thumb, throw it out the window.

You need to think about the adult size of the fish, the waste amount, if you have enough space for them to claim territories without fights breaking out, what other fish you plan to keep with them etc...

You didn't say what type of cichlids, just "community" which can vary greatly. I have a jack dempsey community tank and a firemouth community tank. You could even say my GBR tank is a community tank or my african tank is one as well. See what I mean? Different sized fish.

Sorry i did leave that info out, they are african cichlids.
Also could you please advise on how to get to the profile page.
I need to update my info and can not find the link.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Well that explains it. I will log onto computer at home and try it there, Thank you so very much !

Back
Top Bottom