How many Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BL1ND1ND3X

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,
Just got a 60 gallon tall, and am currently cycling it.
And my question is, how many cichlids can I have in the tank?
The footprint of the tank is 36" wide, 15" deep, and 25.5" tall.
I have a 20 gallon community tank and know how to stock smaller fish, but I dont know how to stock cichlids as I have heard that you need to overstock the tank to lessen aqression??
And i was also curious on what order to stock it as I have never had agressive fish before. Can I put fish in now let them grow, and then add more cichlids that are smaller than the others, or would the bigger ones kill the smaller ones.
Any other advice on taking care of cichlids would be greaty appreciated also!
Thank you for the help!
:thanks:

Yes you need to put about well 15-25 African cichlids. And yes the more the better because the more=less aggressive because there won't be any place to have a territory because everyone would be in it and there would be no use. And there are ranks in the tanks. Boss, 2 boss, citizens, and the wimpy guy that only comes out at night. They also like alkaline around 7.5-8.5. Water should be hard and thats all. If I am missing something someone please corrct me I have been doing a month research of African cichlids.

Oh and please do not get smaller fish or they will be eaten if they can fit in there mouths also look what you got. At the pet store and write them down then go back online and research it.

The tanks footprint isn't to great, but it's big enough for Africans. Next your going to have to decide do you want peacocks or mbuna? How are you going to decorate? Overstocking the tank can work but only if you have a lot of filtration

I'm going to decorate the tank to make sure that everyone has a hiding spot.I'm also going to put java fern, Anubias, and any other plant that doesn't need to be rooted.

Putting smaller cichlids can work but some will defiantly be eaten. I have a big mixed tank and I add some new guys at about an inch and they typically do fine but one will disappear here and there. Anything under an inch would need to be grown up a little bit

I have put smaller one with large established fish, the trick is to have lots of hides so the small guys can retreat when chased by big guys.

As was already pointed out, a 3' tank is far from ideal with Africans, especially the mbuna. With mbuna it is far more about footprint than about water volume. Over stocking can help, but it isn't going to solve your problems. Regardless of how many fish you put in the tank, the fish will establish territories, and in a 3' tank that usually means the entire tank. Having lots of fish helps to spread out the aggression. But, if you have multiple males and females the males that are trying to establish claim to a territory are going to battle. No amount of over stocking is going to eliminate aggression in a mbuna tank ~ overstocking cuts down on the effects of aggression on individual fish. higher pH and harderwater also help provide the fish with what they need. On a three foot tank, you might try placing your rockwork in the middle, rather than in the back, so you in effect divide the tank into a front and a back territory. If you stock with mbuna, you also will not have plants for very long. Mbuna are grazers, so they will mow anything you put in the tank eventually.

As was already pointed out, a 3' tank is far from ideal with Africans, especially the mbuna. With mbuna it is far more about footprint than about water volume. Over stocking can help, but it isn't going to solve your problems. Regardless of how many fish you put in the tank, the fish will establish territories, and in a 3' tank that usually means the entire tank. Having lots of fish helps to spread out the aggression. But, if you have multiple males and females the males that are trying to establish claim to a territory are going to battle. No amount of over stocking is going to eliminate aggression in a mbuna tank ~ overstocking cuts down on the effects of aggression on individual fish. higher pH and harderwater also help provide the fish with what they need. On a three foot tank, you might try placing your rockwork in the middle, rather than in the back, so you in effect divide the tank into a front and a back territory. If you stock with mbuna, you also will not have plants for very long. Mbuna are grazers, so they will mow anything you put in the tank eventually.

So would I be better off with having a community tank then.
I was originally going to have a community tank, but my friend told how cool cichlids are and that's why I was wondering if I could do cichlids.
If my tank footprint isn't ideal for cichlids then I'll just go back to community then

So would I be better off with having a community tank then.
I was originally going to have a community tank, but my friend told how cool cichlids are and that's why I was wondering if I could do cichlids.
If my tank footprint isn't ideal for cichlids then I'll just go back to community then

Cichlids are indeed cool, and there are a number of different types of dwarf cichlids that would do very well in that aquarium or even in a community. Personally, I would look into some of those options rather than the Africans.

Cichlids are indeed cool, and there are a number of different types of dwarf cichlids that would do very well in that aquarium or even in a community. Personally, I would look into some of those options rather than the Africans.

Ok thanks a lot for your help!
I'll probably get the community fish, and just get a pair of electric blue rams.
Or something cheaper lol

There are literally dozens of peaceful cichlid species that will do well in community setting, ranging from small (like apistogramma, mikrogeophagus, dicrossus, ivannacara, nannacara, laetacara, etc.) to medium (like cleithracara maronii, krobia xinguensis, certain aequidens sp., etc.) to quite large (certain geophagus, uaru, heros, etc.). The family of fish known as cichlidae is a HUGE family of fish, one of, if not the most diverse group of vertebrates on the planet. They are all not aggressive, they are all not huge. Hope this helps!

There are literally dozens of peaceful cichlid species that will do well in community setting, ranging from small (like apistogramma, mikrogeophagus, dicrossus, ivannacara, nannacara, laetacara, etc.) to medium (like cleithracara maronii, krobia xinguensis, certain aequidens sp., etc.) to quite large (certain geophagus, uaru, heros, etc.). The family of fish known as cichlidae is a HUGE family of fish, one of, if not the most diverse group of vertebrates on the planet. They are all not aggressive, they are all not huge. Hope this helps!

Thanks
I'll look into them
I saw a German Blue Ram for my first time yesterday BEAUTIFUL!!!

Back
Top Bottom