how many cichlids in a four foot tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burgezz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi people I have a 4 foot tank and atm I have 19 small cichlids I have
5 electric yellows 4 colbat blues 3 electric blues 1 marble peacock 2 c borleyi
2 stripy ones I don't know and another two I dnt know , I think I may have to many for long term I don't want to keep changing fish so I want to know out of these which ones and how many full grow will fit,,,, :) im taking the last four I mentioned back because I know they get big << :D cheers

hi people I have a 4 foot tank and atm I have 19 small cichlids I have
5 electric yellows 4 colbat blues 3 electric blues 1 marble peacock 2 c borleyi
2 stripy ones I don't know and another two I dnt know , I think I may have to many for long term I don't want to keep changing fish so I want to know out of these which ones and how many full grow will fit,,,, :) im taking the last four I mentioned back because I know they get big << :D cheers

The blue ahli will get big, about 7" long, the yellow labs and cobalts are fine, the peacock I'm not familiar with, I have about 20 in my 65gal it's roughly 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and they're all good for long term, just read up on max size and temperament to plan ahead.

thank you , I will read up on them more > the store I bought them from said more the best coz of aggression and said even in my tank, thing is I want my fish and keep them< would one electric blue be alright ya think

so mine is a 195 by reading the few posts mine is smaller then 55 by a little , would 10 or 15 be oky if I get rid of the ones that grow 7

cool I might get rid of two electric blues though because I just read they get sorta big. maybe even one c borleyi cause they can get 7 inches to. being over stocked would mean lots more water changes yeah which im fine with just don't know how often

cool I might get rid of two electric blues though because I just read they get sorta big. maybe even one c borleyi cause they can get 7 inches to. being over stocked would mean lots more water changes yeah which im fine with just don't know how often

Borleyi or any Malawi hap for that matter should not be housed in anything smaller than a 125 IMO, unless they are kept in a species only grow out for a few months.

Ideally they should be kept in a custom 8-10' tanks just because of their size and activity level. You're talking large open water scavengers and predators here after all.

That would be a 82 gallon and that's not a standard foot print, here's some of the common larger sizes:

40B 36x18x16
55g 48x12x21
75g 48x18x21
90g 48x18x25
120 48x24x24
125 72x18x23

****, I'm way off then, this tank was purchased at a garage sale so I wasn't sure at all at the dimensions or the gallon tying, I just figured 4ft something because in my living room it takes up 4 1x1ft tiles and almost 2 tiles thick, good info!

So I have a 75g then..? I just went off completely what he told me it was, I didn't think an inch or two could make a 10g diff bud, well i learned something new today!

Measure it then you'll know for sure!

Couple inches makes a difference for example if I lose 2" of water in my 55 gallon I have lost roughly 5 gallons of water.

That is also how I figure out my water change % is by how many inches I go down from the water line.

Measure it then you'll know for sure!

Couple inches makes a difference for example if I lose 2" of water in my 55 gallon I have lost roughly 5 gallons of water.

That is also how I figure out my water change % is by how many inches I go down from the water line.

Wow I feel really dumb, I've been guesstimating off the amount of footage taken by the stand on the floor! Lol well I know it's a 48x18x20 now, thanks mog!

Edit: it's 48x18x21 sorry it's still early for me ha

Back
Top Bottom