How many convicts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 I am trying to go all black convicts in. How many can I have in one 55 gal the fish are small fish so I figured I can have 8 or 10.

Small yes but they will pair and become highly aggressive. I would start out with 8 and as soon as 2 different breeding pairs pop up remove the other 4. If you don't remove the other 4 the other cons will do it for you. There is no way you can keep 20.

20 highly aggressive fish just seems like a terrible idea IMO. I would just stick with around 4 in a 55 it won't look empty. You will have 4 4-6 inch fish cruising around it will look good. Just be prepared for tons of fry.

Thanks all! I appreciate all the advice. I do the research before I buy. I have 4 but they ended up being all females. I want a few males!

Thanks all! I appreciate all the advice. I do the research before I buy. I have 4 but they ended up being all females. I want a few males!

Then I'd get some more and once you find a male/males let them pair and remove the rest

20 highly aggressive fish just seems like a terrible idea IMO. I would just stick with around 4 in a 55 it won't look empty. You will have 4 4-6 inch fish cruising around it will look good. Just be prepared for tons of fry.

I want fry!!!

Oh well that's fine just look for ones that are darker and don't have the orange belly at all. Also look for long anal fins as well as a a growth starting on its head. Or just buy like 4 more of the darkest ones you see at the Lfs.

Then I'd get some more and once you find a male/males let them pair and remove the rest

I started a Facebook page in my area. It's a place for people like myself to link up locally and so when one day I have 1000000 fry, I will have a platform to maybe give some away!

I started a Facebook page in my area. It's a place for people like myself to link up locally and so when one day I have 1000000 fry, I will have a platform to maybe give some away!

Wow there you go! Most people in my area wouldn't take convict fry even if I paid then to

I have mollie fry too. Will be rehoming them soon.i had Jacks but they stopped breeding i found homes for the fry. We will see what happens with convicts.

The cons probably won't stop haha. But that's cool I love breeding jack Dempseys.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392133637.875655.jpg

There are 4 pretty good size silver dollars in there. They will be moved to the mollie tank before I get more convicts.

The cons probably won't stop haha. But that's cool I love breeding jack Dempseys.

Jacks were fun!

I may have to suck it up and start letting nature take its course if they breed too darn much!

You might have to. Do you still have your jacks? Are they large if so they could help take care of your fry. Nice looking tank btw I like it!

You might have to. Do you still have your jacks? Are they large if so they could help take care of your fry. Nice looking tank btw I like it!

My jacks are about 8" long. I know they would love them! I feed them feeder fish I just can't feed them my fry. :-(

It would be much healthier than any feeder fish it's just my opinion but I would highly suggest against feeder fish they can cause disease but its all your decision. Can I see a pic of those bad boys though I love Jack Demoseys almost as much as oscars.

Back
Top Bottom