Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many female cichlids in 29g

So I am pretty new to the hobby and I started with a 10g tank with 3 cichlids juveniles as I began to familiarize myself with proper fish care I soon realized a 10g was way to small. I then added a 29g as they started to grow. I added 7 more juveniles knowing that I would be adding another tank very soon. Well I have since added a 75g and gotten my fish moved in. My goal is to end up with an all male show tank. Because I have been buying unsexed fish I inevitably have ended up with some females. I have been planning on using the 29g to house the females but I am wondering how many can be kept in a 29g. I know this tank is on the small side for cichlids so I want to know if I can keep the females in there or if I should try to rehome them as best I can.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a good question as females are not the most aggressive by themselves either I'd say 10 if your doing all females but it's more of a guess

Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. And now that I have the larger tank set up I will probably start buying young males instead of unsexed fish. When I only had the 29g I wanted the smaller fish but now I don't mind spending more for the males. I know for sure I have 1 adult female 2 juvenile females and 3 Jacobi freinbergs that I can't tell yet (I think at least 2 are male). They are all in the main tank for now but as I add more male fish I'm going to transfer them over to the 29g before problems arise.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did I miss what kind of cichlids?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are peacocks

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, female, ich, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com