How many fish!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I apologize polly 91 for takin away from your thread and talkin off topic.. If you need anymore help let us know.

To the OP follow Huckit, he is very knowledgeable and has never steered me wrong. And he makes a very good point these are naturally aggressive fish, keeping them well fed won't necessarily curb their aggression. IMO aggression is shown more during feeding time, like previously stated.

Every tank has different fish behavior.. If your tank is well done with semi hiding places there shouldnt be a problem.. It all depends on the tank setup.. You guys just state the obvious.. If you guys are so helpful how come noone said what i did.. If you dont think you can set up a tank with at least 8 cichlids like i said with proper tank set up in that size tank.. Really??

I just find it weird that in a decnt sized tank, that it's recommended to have so little fish.how long does it take the fish I have to grow to full size?
I stated the fish I have in the middle of this thread.

Polly91 said:
I just find it weird that in a decnt sized tank, that it's recommended to have so little fish.how long does it take the fish I have to grow to full size?
I stated the fish I have in the middle of this thread.

Stocking shouldn't be based on the fishes current size, but on the full size of the fish...

Its hard to say depends on the individual fish but if you use good food quality along with proper water changes and you water parameters are good.. This will help

I understand you already. You apparently are a bit confused. I complained about the exact same attitude behind some answers and of some of the people. But you know what it's ok. Chill buddy. I can easily be reached.

Like I said it's your own tank do as you please just know that some are actually trying to help. They did for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well how big do these fish get?
Any tips on getting the firemouth and kribensis breeding?

The other thing I'm confused about is there aggression?everything I have read online says that the particular fish I am keeping are relatively calm???

Some are some aren't, however no matter what they all get aggressive when breeding. Having four breeding pairs of big fish in tank isn't a good idea IMO

How many breeding pairs would be ok?these fish protect there fry unlike African cichlids right???

And what should the male to female ratio be?cause I used to have Africans and it was 3-4 females to one male...

The only Africans I have are shellies, ad they protect their fry. Im pretty sure the ones you want also protect their fry. I know the kribs pair up, other than that I'm by sure- but I think they form pairs

Calculating aggression of certain types of fish is an important factor in stocking plans. Yeah, you could make a bunch of cichlids fit into a tank that size, but you can't make them get along with each other.

As far as aggression.... During spaw ing you will see heightened aggression. Also you have asked about ppl talking about aggression and certain breeds of fish. Put it this way.... Ppl think all pitbulls are vicious beasts. I have 2 PB mixes and have worked with some who are the most laid back... Then I've worked with some mean.... No one can tell you Forsure....but is a general guideline on your fish. Good luck.

Ladies and gentlemen,

This thread is getting one warning. Stay on topic and stop with the rudeness. If this thread has to be moderated again, it will be closed.

Back
Top Bottom