How many fish can I add to a 135 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazynammer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my tank currently

1 Arowana
2 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Albino Pleco
7 convicts cichlids (100+ Fry)
8 Jewls cichlids
3 Electric Yellow Labs cichlids
2 purple parrot cichlids
3 blue cobalt cichlid
2 blood zebra cichlid
1 peacock cichlid (Blue)
4 Eureka Red Cichlids
2 Auratus Cichlids
2 Mixed Cichlid
1 Mayland Mbuna
1 Frontosa Cichlid
1 Red Spot Severum
1 Jack Dempsey

I have a Fx 5 Filter, Aqua 110 and Fluval 405. (1700 GPH) , tons of decorations and hiding spots, 2 air bubblers, 2 heaters.

I took out my 2 Flowerhorn and 2 Red Devils cause they were attacking my Arowana.

Can I add any more or am I at my max?

You are way over your max right now. You need to definitely regime the Arowana for a start.

You are way overstocked and your mixture of fish is bad. You should never mix new world cichlids and old worlds. Plus the tank is to small for the arrowana.

Drop the arrowana then either re home the new worlds or the africans. Then you can tweak your stock from there.

I agree with the other replies completely. Your stock is completely mixed up with the old world and new world cichlids. You can generally only keep one or the other safely as they need vastly different water parameters.

I don't understand when you say new world and old world? Does that mean South America and African?

I have had the tank like this for about 6 months and the only problem
Was the Red Devils and Flowerhorns.

I don't understand when you say new world and old world? Does that mean South America and African?

Yep, pretty much. South american cichlids prefer cooler water, lower pH, and a fairly soft water. African cichlids are pretty much the opposite.

Yep, pretty much. South american cichlids prefer cooler water, lower pH, and a fairly soft water. African cichlids are pretty much the opposite.

Ok thanks Mebbid, I will just throw all my SA cichlids in my 90 Gallon tank and make my 135 Gallon into African.

Okay, further note is that your african cichlids need fairly strict numbers of stocking if you are keeping multiples of the same species. Most need 1 male to at least 4 females as one will be dominant and attack the other as a show of aggression. Males also tend to abuse females hence the multiple females per male.

I'm not terribly familiar on stocking rules with south american cichlids so I can't offer much advice there.

I would definitely suggest that you do some research on your fish, especially before buying them. A simple google search would reveal that flowerhorns are fish that can only really be kept alone in a tank as they are hyper aggressive. The red devils are also one of the most aggressive cichlids out there. That alone would have saved you a lot of trouble.

If you do that them get rid of your arrowana they can't live with Africans either.

Yeh way overstocked :( the arowana it's self needs 350gallons and 7 convicts is way over the convict per tank limit sny1 wants lol I have a 150gallon and mine is a almost overdoing it and I only hve 2 tiger oscar 1 hack Dempsey and a green terror.

Back
Top Bottom