How many malawi cichlids for a 100gal tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi'
I have an African cichlid tank and i have some cichlids here is some pictures IMG_3348.jpgIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3349.jpg
There has been some chasing about and I heard on the internet that I need to have an overstocked tank to keep the aggression at bay?? I have 11 cichlids at the moment. How many more can i add to keep the aggression at bay??

...I heard on the internet that I need to have an overstocked tank to keep the aggression at bay??
I would say quite the opposite has been true, in my experience. Don't believe everything you see on the Internet. :whistle:

I would not recommend 'overstocking' any aquarium. "Filling" your aquarium isn't a bad thing. 11 Cichlids in a 100 Gallon tank gives the fish plenty of room to establish territory, and once the have a spot, they'll defend it.

Cichlids chase each other about a lot. They're active fish. If your seeing certain fish get beat up, try and re-arrange the ornaments, and provide plenty of caves and rocky 'hideouts' they can call home... Over 1/3 of my cichlid tank was rocks, with lots of caves and hidey holes. If there's only 1 or 2 safe places, the fish will fight for the good spots.

Research the type of fish you're putting in the tank.

Groups Cichlids — Seriously Fish

As for "how many" you can put in the tank, the species of fish, size of full grown adults, amount/type of filtration, as well as other variables all factor in, so there's no straight answer... It's like me asking, "How many marbles can I fit in this jar?" without knowing the size of the jar, or the size of the marbles.

Try using this calculator: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

This will give you an idea of where you are now, and maybe some direction for the future.

An old rule of thumb I heard back in the day was 1 inch of fish per gallon of water as a general guideline. Abundant filtration could support more, but I wouldn't try it.

I wonder where that overstocking against aggression thing comes from. Fish just all too terrified to do anything? :(

An old rule of thumb I heard back in the day was 1 inch of fish per gallon of water as a general guideline. Abundant filtration could support more, but I wouldn't try it.

I wonder where that overstocking against aggression thing comes from. Fish just all too terrified to do anything? :(

That's an extremely outdated method. With Africans you need a highly structured setup with a healthy stocking. They will pester non stop otherwise. Overstocking spreads out the aggression, they are aggressive fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes. You should research everything you get, learn how to sex them and know exactly what you're putting in your tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Imo the corydoras and clown loach should be rehomed too. They've got different needs and they'll probably get bullied down the road.

Back
Top Bottom