How many mbuna in a 120 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, in a few months I may have the chance to setup a 120 gallon, I would be using it to give my Mbuna a larger tank, currently I have a 75 gallon that houses

7 maingano
6 red zebra
5 yellow labs
5 white labs
1 bumblebee
And one common pleco

The main reason I plan on moving them is for the pleco which I know will slowly outgrow the 75, how many more fish could I safely add? I plan on upgrading my filters to some sort of canister, but will have to do research on that also, but rest assured that proper filtration will be supplied.

I was hoping to up all the groups to 7, other then the bumblebee which would remain alone.
Will I be able to add another species?

I would say yes. That would leave you 5 species of 7, the bumblebee and the pleco, for 37 total. I have 35 in my 90 gallon, which I've been advised 35-40 is good. With that, if I were you I would still consider swapping out the common for a group of bristle nose plecos. Not only is the common huge, but it's a waste making machine.

I know he will get huge but I don't think I could part with him, he's about 7 or 8 inches right now and Definatly is a huge waste producer but I'm willing to do the extra water changes for him, I didnt buy him for cleaning anyway just bought him cuz I thought he was adorable. Haha. For another species what would you recommend? I was thinking acei. Because they are pretty commonly available here during the summer. And from what I heard are peacefull but will also be able to hold there own with my bumblebee

Well then he will love his nice, big new house ;)

I think acei would be a great choice. They are best in groups with lots of swimming space so be sure the tank has some good open space. My acei just had babies!!!!

Good luck!

Great thanks for the advice! My fish haven't had fry yet, they haven't all matured yet. I'm really excited for them to have fry, that way I wont need to buy any fish for the bigger tank ;) just the acei! Im working on venting them but its harder then it looks haha.

a.tetreault said:
Great thanks for the advice! My fish haven't had fry yet, they haven't all matured yet. I'm really excited for them to have fry, that way I wont need to buy any fish for the bigger tank ;) just the acei! Im working on venting them but its harder then it looks haha.

The bumble's are great,I have 2 in my tank&the more mature one has turned black.(awesome looking,named him Debo)
75g Malawi
ForumRunner_20120407_223111.jpg

I wouldn't do acei in that tank... especially if it's a 4' 120g. If it's a 5' 120g maybe... but they do best in a 6'+ tank.

Personally I have only heard they need at least a four foot tank, I think they will do well in my tank as I know a lot of people who keep acei in four foot tanks, not sure on the measurements of the new tank yet as I don't have it but I'm confident they will do well. As for bumblebees they are beautiful fish! Love the color changing abilities, but I wouldn't add more then one to my tank. Very very aggressive, I think I got lucky and may have a female which is why I haven't had too many issues.

a.tetreault said:
Personally I have only heard they need at least a four foot tank, I think they will do well in my tank as I know a lot of people who keep acei in four foot tanks, not sure on the measurements of the new tank yet as I don't have it but I'm confident they will do well. As for bumblebees they are beautiful fish! Love the color changing abilities, but I wouldn't add more then one to my tank. Very very aggressive, I think I got lucky and may have a female which is why I haven't had too many issues.

Yeah I have 4 acei in my 4' 90 gallon tank and they are doing awesome! They do like to swim so I left the front of my tank open with rockwork in the middle and back so they ca swim freely. They are doing great, reproducing and everything :)

Are the white labs the Nkhata Bay variant? These might cross with the yellow morphs if kept together.

Yes they are, I'm not too concerned about cross breeding since any mixed species tank has a chance of it. My red zebras and labs have the chance of crossbreeding as well. In my opinion as long as they are staying in my tank it won't be an issue, I won't be selling any of my fry to the lfs and don't plan on saving more fry than I can handle either. Thanks for the concern tho! :)

Back
Top Bottom