Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many mbuna in a 120 gallon?

So, in a few months I may have the chance to setup a 120 gallon, I would be using it to give my Mbuna a larger tank, currently I have a 75 gallon that houses

7 maingano
6 red zebra
5 yellow labs
5 white labs
1 bumblebee
And one common pleco

The main reason I plan on moving them is for the pleco which I know will slowly outgrow the 75, how many more fish could I safely add? I plan on upgrading my filters to some sort of canister, but will have to do research on that also, but rest assured that proper filtration will be supplied.

I was hoping to up all the groups to 7, other then the bumblebee which would remain alone.
Will I be able to add another species?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say yes. That would leave you 5 species of 7, the bumblebee and the pleco, for 37 total. I have 35 in my 90 gallon, which I've been advised 35-40 is good. With that, if I were you I would still consider swapping out the common for a group of bristle nose plecos. Not only is the common huge, but it's a waste making machine.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know he will get huge but I don't think I could part with him, he's about 7 or 8 inches right now and Definatly is a huge waste producer but I'm willing to do the extra water changes for him, I didnt buy him for cleaning anyway just bought him cuz I thought he was adorable. Haha. For another species what would you recommend? I was thinking acei. Because they are pretty commonly available here during the summer. And from what I heard are peacefull but will also be able to hold there own with my bumblebee
Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well then he will love his nice, big new house

I think acei would be a great choice. They are best in groups with lots of swimming space so be sure the tank has some good open space. My acei just had babies!!!!

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great thanks for the advice! My fish haven't had fry yet, they haven't all matured yet. I'm really excited for them to have fry, that way I wont need to buy any fish for the bigger tank just the acei! Im working on venting them but its harder then it looks haha.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.tetreault
Great thanks for the advice! My fish haven't had fry yet, they haven't all matured yet. I'm really excited for them to have fry, that way I wont need to buy any fish for the bigger tank just the acei! Im working on venting them but its harder then it looks haha.
The bumble's are great,I have 2 in my tank&the more mature one has turned black.(awesome looking,named him Debo)
75g Malawi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120407_223111.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	87539
Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once again SICK tank!! I didn't have ANY luck with bumbles. I had to re home all of them.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Once again SICK tank!! I didn't have ANY luck with bumbles. I had to re home all of them.
Overly aggresive?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't do acei in that tank... especially if it's a 4' 120g. If it's a 5' 120g maybe... but they do best in a 6'+ tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger terror

Overly aggresive?
Yes very!! They all had to go...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, mbuna

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com