How many mbuna or Africans??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just purchased a 50 gallon long tank and it's cycling. Just wondering how many cichlids would be acceptable in this? It's running two fluval submersible filters for 40 gallon which brings it to 80... So what can the reasonable amount be? Also have a pleco to go in so there's one bio load! Haha. Thank you for the comments. No rude comments please

What is the length on the tank? That makes a big difference. This will be separate from your other tank you just redid?

I have a 56 gal 30" wide 18" deep and 25" tall. I currently have it stocked with a mixed bag of 12 Africans.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think its a 6ft long tank

I would start with another filter for sure

Yes if by internal you mean the filters are I. Tank taking up space I'd definitely lose those and get one good canister to start like a Rena filstar xp-l or a cascade 1200/1500. Also the amount of fish depends on what type. I recommend staying to either all African or all new world. If I recall you have both mixed in your current tank. In that tank I'd personally try and do dwarf mbuna (under 4 or 4.5 in) You could do anywhere from 14 to 24 depending on tank dimensions. I e never heard of a 50 long.

Sorry a 50 long is 48"x18"x13"

F that's the case I'd do about 15-20 total of 3 different types in groups of 6 or 7 and remove excess males or i early aggressive fish. That amount spreads the aggression and allow for a rehoming buffer as its inevitable.

If it really is 48" long, I'd say 10-12 of 2 mbuna species and after you upgrade to a better filter, get 5-7 more of a 3rd species. However if you're going to get juvies, I'd recommend getting 14-16 of 2 species for a better chance at a good M:F ratio and then rehome the rest before they get to 2.5" or so.

If it really is 48" long, I'd say 10-12 of 2 mbuna species and after you upgrade to a better filter, get 5-7 more of a 3rd species. However if you're going to get juvies, I'd recommend getting 14-16 of 2 species for a better chance at a good M:F ratio and then rehome the rest before they get to 2.5" or so.

Good advice! ?

What is the length on the tank? That makes a big difference. This will be separate from your other tank you just redid?

Yes it's a seperate new tank came across all of it so another filter and only 15?? Dang was hoping more. If I rehome pleco could I add a few more??

On the old 50g I had 21 African cichlid but I was running an ehiem 2080 as well in there. 15-18 is a good number if they get along with each other.

Back
Top Bottom