How many red jewel together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torres

Aquarium Advice Freak
Planning on having a tank just for red jewels, i know they are aggressive as ive kept some before and got a new one.
So the question is, can i keep around 5 males together in a 50 gallon? or they will kill each other to death?
Also, will they only show full color when breeding? I had a pair that looked beautiful when breeding, but this new one is the only jewel and looks a bit dull..
Thanks.

I have two in with my other cichlids. Unfortunately both turned out to be male. Neither one is aggressive, but only the dominant one colors up. He's beautiful, the other has a washed out color. I would guess that with five, only one would really color up, and if he doesn't beat the others to death, they wouldn't show their colors.

I would not attempt to keep 5 males of any type of "red jewel"in 50 gal but two pairs with a school of congo tetras or something would be nice. Look into hemichromis Lifalili also a touch smaller and less aggressive IME. Also why do you want all males the genus shows limited dimorphism.

dont fancy pairs much cuz they will take half tank for them, but the color of them is away nicer.

Yeah if you stick a bunch of m hemichromides together your asking for a bloodbath you'll probably end up with one or two at the end. This isn't always the case but I've been keeping members of the genus for a while now and they get pretty nasty towards the same sex and non receptive females.

yeah ill get something else to keep with mine
thanks

yeah ill get something else to keep with mine
thanks

No problem if you have some pics of the one you have I'd love to see... I can prob give you an exact ID as far as species also.

i know its a male, ill post pics when the fish leave his caves.. lol

20130324004228.jpg

20130323235800.jpg

20130312194313.jpg

there you go, took long but here they are

Back
Top Bottom