How many times do your filters turn over water? (gph)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Hobbyis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 G African cichlid tank with mbuna and peacocks. I currently have 2 HOB filters that turn over the water more than 10 times per hour (600 GPH).

I was just wondering if this was over kill? and I was wondering how many GPH other people run?

Yeah I wish I had I more powerful filter myself but just can't do it with the set up I have

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Built in filter so I'm not sure if the housing can work effectively if I get a stronger pump.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As stated you can't over filter. (Make sure water current isn't too strong for your fish though)

In my opinion the minimum would be:

Hang on back = x10
Canister = x5

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run two filters (1 HOB 1 Canister) rated for 100g tank on a 75g plus a powerhead probably soon.

you can't over filter, but if it's pushing your fish around you can do filter mods.

Caleb

What do you guys think is better a canister or hob?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Each their own preference. HOB is easier to maintain, but needs more maintenance, while canisters are a bit harder to maintain, but requires less frequent maintenance.

That's said.. I'm running almost 900gph on my 65G.

I will give you my opinion.

Anything under 30g = HOB.
Over 30g = Canister.

That's just me though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im on that train only....

Anything 55 and under = HOB, sponge
Anything over 55 = cannister.

But as far as filtration, i run 2 fluval fx6 on a 150gl. So the more filtering the better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have almost 1100 gallons per hour on my 75... I found that the fish don't get bothered by the current as it is spread out between my multiple filters. They love to go up to the out-put if my canister filter and swim directly against the current, sometimes with the tops of their backs out of the water! This is Texas cichlids though, and anything in Texas has to be tough.

Planning to remove most of my filtration except my current canister and replace it with either a Fluval fx5 or a 406 or something like that so i can have all the HOB for other tanks... The new distribution of current is all im worried about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm running 750 gph on a 60, but let's talk about that stock. Peacocks and mbuna do not mix well mostly. As a peacock fanatic I must mention it as they are the ones who will suffer. A peacock with labs= OK, a peacock with auratus or zebras=dead.

Back
Top Bottom