How much to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justkell

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much do I feed two tiger oscars 1 1/2 inches each and a 3 inch convict chiclid? Thanks

Just give then a couple of bloodworm cubes a d maybe a beef heart. They will be was bigger in 6months

I would leave out the beef heart, it's not the best thing for any fish IMO. I'd go with a good balanced food designed for those fish like new life spectrum.

Thank I just bought some blood worms frozen cubes and pellets . I couldn't find beef stiff

Thank I just bought some blood worms frozen cubes and pellets . I couldn't find beef stiff

What size tank you have for them? Just curious. And I usually just give my oscar flakes/pellets and a bloodworm cube every other night or so. He isn't the only one in the tank though. He is also about the same size as yours.

Andrew McFadden said:
I would leave out the beef heart, it's not the best thing for any fish IMO. I'd go with a good balanced food designed for those fish like new life spectrum.

What's wrong with beef heart? It has seemed to make my fish big fast.

What's wrong with beef heart? It has seemed to make my fish big fast.

Beef heart isn't something that fish eat in the wild. Their body's from my understanding don't digest that kind of fats or in this case muscle very well. Your better off feeding what they are made to eat IMO.

What's wrong with beef heart?.

The most important fact is that fish digestive systems are designed to handle certain proteins. Freshwater/Marine proteins and fats are very different than their mammal counterparts. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately. The primarily function of breaking down food is a provide energy, that which can't be processed generates a lot of waste since they're expelling what can't be used to benefit the fishes body. Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality. The last issue I have is the fish's kidneys and liver work harder than they would have trying to process foods they are not designed to digest, where as long term feeding can lead to liver or kidney failure. So not to ramble on any longer I can't see any benefits to feeding beefheart when there so many healthier choices such as krill, nightcrawlers, shrimp prawns, and prepared pellets(insert NLS here).

It has seemed to make my fish big fast.

So does dog food but I wouldn't feed it to fish.

Last edited:
How much do I feed two tiger oscars 1 1/2 inches each and a 3 inch convict chiclid? Thanks

HUKIT and Andrew are giving the right advice here.

As far as quantity, this is a judgement call and it takes time to refine, but at that size I would say a sprinkle of 2mm NLS pellets is about right. A starting point is to see how much food they consume in about 60 seconds.

My local fish store feeds there fish beef heart twice a week. They have high quality fish that I buy and always do well in my tanks.

My local fish store feeds there fish beef heart twice a week. They have high quality fish that I buy and always do well in my tanks.

It's just like people eating things that aren't really "good" for us but we like it and enjoy it (not the best comparison, but oh well). Same goes for fish. If you fed them it everyday you might have some problems..I would probably say that 2 times a week is fine. So lets say you feed your fish 2 times a day, so that's 2/14 times a week..

Back
Top Bottom