How Often to Feed Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While yellow labs are classed with mbuna, they are omnivores, so they can handle more animal matter in their diet than the usual grazers. How much you feed depends on a number of thing. If the fish are juveniles, and you want them to grow quickly feed them more often. Be aware that this may result in the need for more frequent or larger water changes. Keep in mind also that any food high in spirulina should also be high in protein, as spirulina is over 60% protein.

Cecil2010 said:
I have 4 Africans that are all about 3 inches. i feed them NLS 1mm sinking pellets. i feed them once a day and skip Saturdays, and on Sunday i either give them Brine shrimp, blood-worms(their favorite), or beef-heart(least favorite). i usually open the tank and they are all right there ready and i drop a pinch (about 15-20) and i let them eat all of that, then i keep adding pinches until some of the food starts to hit the bottom, once about 5-10 pellets hit the ground at a time then i quit.

Does this sound OK?

You should never feed Africans beef heart. I throw in a large pinch of food (alternate between nls, hikari, flake, and brine shrimp) for my 125. Maybe 15 pieces will hit the bottom but my bottom feeders take care of that.

well thats good to know. i havent given them much because they dont like it, but i will stup giving it to them all together.

Coursair said:
I liked to feed Zucchini and skinned frozen/defrosted peas also, Romaine and Spinach. I used a veggie clip. They loved their veggies and greens. I'd leave fresh food in up to 48 hours for fresh Zucchini. Greens 24 hours. Blanched food was usually consumed faster.
Organic is best and rinse well.

Chewing and spitting and chewing is pretty normal in some fish. If they are juvies, they'll grow fast.

How did you prepare zucchini for the fish? & what is a veggie clip?

A veggie clip, is basically a peg with a suction cup. So you can clip you lettuce leaf or whatever then stick it to the glass in the tank to feed.

In regards to pellets being eaten, I always soak mine first for about two minutes in tank water to allow them to swell and soften. What you don't want us you fish to fill up on dry pellets and then they swell inside the stomach, not good!

I feed once sometimes twice a day, I feed anything from spinach, pellets, formula 2 flakes(ocean nutrition) brine shrimp, hikari pellets, shelled peas, and seaweed sheets.

Back
Top Bottom