How Often to Feed Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to cichlids and am just wondering how often they should be fed and how much? I have 6 yellow labs and alternate between omega one flake and nls cichlid pellets. I have heard everything from feeding once a day for about 2 minutes up to 4 times a day for 30 seconds

I feed my mbuna's twice a day. Once per week I skip feedings all together. I know a lot of people feed once a day and skip once a week.

Check the protein % in the food. To prevent bloat it's recommended to feed food with protein less then 40%.

Ohhh ur gonna get tons of advice on this! Before I tell you my feeding schedule I'm gonna say this...you need to watch the needs of your fish and decide what's best for them and you.
That said, I feed once a day what they can eat in 30-45 seconds. Depending on the tank, some get a little more (frontosas) and some get a little less (jewels). I'll try to post a great link I found about feeding. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I am very paranoid about bloat. I have noticed after the fish are fed you can see a string having from them that is either white or sometimes red. Is this their normal poop or a sign that I might be doing something wrong?

I am interested in what peoples opinions are on this as well. I keep cichlids and feed once a day and give them about 30 seconds. once a week i feed a higher protein like bloodworms. ...

followingg...

twestacott said:
Thanks. I am very paranoid about bloat. I have noticed after the fish are fed you can see a string having from them that is either white or sometimes red. Is this their normal poop or a sign that I might be doing something wrong?

Their normal poop should be red. If one time you see white I wouldn't worry, but if a fish is pooping white I would think that might be an issue. Not sure so I'll wait for others to chime in.

Ohhh ur gonna get tons of advice on this! Before I tell you my feeding schedule I'm gonna say this...you need to watch the needs of your fish and decide what's best for them and you.
That said, I feed once a day what they can eat in 30-45 seconds. Depending on the tank, some get a little more (frontosas) and some get a little less (jewels). I'll try to post a great link I found about feeding. Hope it helps.

Cichlid Aquarium Keeping Principles # 4 - YouTube

I watched this video several times and could not understand the name of the food he says is the best food for cichlids.. can someone let me know what that food is? :D:whistle::cool:

Poop was red this morning so I should be ok. I have had them about 3 days and was feeding Omega One flake but realized at about 42% protein it is probably too high for regular feedings. I will be picking up some NLS pellets (the cichlid formula) tonight. My labs range from about 1 to 1.5 inch. Should the NLS 1mm pellets be ok or should they be on the .5mm growth formula until they are a bit bigger?

Lady_Alia said:

I do exactly the same.

twestacott said:
Poop was red this morning so I should be ok. I have had them about 3 days and was feeding Omega One flake but realized at about 42% protein it is probably too high for regular feedings. I will be picking up some NLS pellets (the cichlid formula) tonight. My labs range from about 1 to 1.5 inch. Should the NLS 1mm pellets be ok or should they be on the .5mm growth formula until they are a bit bigger?

I'm not sure what you have in your tank but labs are mbuna which means they are algae grazers. Omega One makes a kelp formula pellet that my mbuna LOVE! Ya might check it out. But you can't go wrong with NLS ;-)

I bought NLS and fed them tonight. I noticed that they take the pellets in their mouthand seem to crush them and spit everything out before eating the powder. Is this normal?

Ideally, you'd want them to swallow the food whole and not 'blow' any food particles out their gills or seeming to chew on their food. But since they're use to flakes it may take them a little bit to get use to pellets. I'm not sure.
Just be sure that you DO NOT over feed!!!

How do I know if I am overfeeding? I am giving them a small pinch (about 20 pellets) but it takes them probably 3-4 minutes to eat it mainly because they seem to try and chew rather than swallow whole. I have 6 fish that are about 1-1.5 inches. I also checked to make sure my water levels are not going up

twestacott said:
How do I know if I am overfeeding? I am giving them a small pinch (about 20 pellets) but it takes them probably 3-4 minutes to eat it mainly because they seem to try and chew rather than swallow whole. I have 6 fish that are about 1-1.5 inches. I also checked to make sure my water levels are not going up

If they're chewing rather than swallowing it whole, the pellets are too big. Get smaller pellets.

I liked to feed Zucchini and skinned frozen/defrosted peas also, Romaine and Spinach. I used a veggie clip. They loved their veggies and greens. I'd leave fresh food in up to 48 hours for fresh Zucchini. Greens 24 hours. Blanched food was usually consumed faster.
Organic is best and rinse well.

Chewing and spitting and chewing is pretty normal in some fish. If they are juvies, they'll grow fast.

I feed mine twice a day with NLS pellets and some flake (for smaller fish).
Brine shrimp once a week, Sunday is pea day :) in the morning and nothing else for the day.

I only have the 1mm pellets. Should I be getting the 0.5mm? That NLS formula said it is for fry

i feed flake normally but will sometimes alternate between the smaller pellets and the very large pellets for my bigger fish, they also get algae wafers when i drop them in for my pleco (not that its really my choice! lol) i have to drop about 3 wafers in, two for my cichlids and my pleco will usually get one if hes quick enough haha. i also skip feeding every friday or saturday sometimes both

I have 4 Africans that are all about 3 inches. i feed them NLS 1mm sinking pellets. i feed them once a day and skip Saturdays, and on Sunday i either give them Brine shrimp, blood-worms(their favorite), or beef-heart(least favorite). i usually open the tank and they are all right there ready and i drop a pinch (about 15-20) and i let them eat all of that, then i keep adding pinches until some of the food starts to hit the bottom, once about 5-10 pellets hit the ground at a time then i quit.

Does this sound OK?

Back
Top Bottom