How Smart are cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if it's true but I've read a couple off times that mbuna are the smartest fish around

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's hard to actually measure the intelligence of a fish, Cichlids seem to be able to learn things, recognise people, be trained, and re-arrange their surroundings to suit themselves.
They are also one of the few fish that will care for their fry.

My experience so far with them is hugely positive, while it may take a year to get a community fish to feel comfortable with you around, the Cichlids are much more curious fish and will inspect things that are happening around them.
They can even differentiate between me approaching the tank and a friend doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you look at cichlids from an evolutionary stand point they are some of the most intelligent species on the planet. They have all evolved from a common ancestor to perfect living in their own little niche. They care for their young in amazing ways unseen in pretty much all other fresh water fish. They have longer memory than your average fish, and IME, they are pretty clever.
Definitely feel comfortable saying that cichlids are one of the, if not the most intelligent group of freshwater fish.

Too smart for their own good! I was dosing ferts in the morning by hanging around one side of tank while dosing into other side (have two holes in cover). Now the barbs and mollies are still getting fooled but the angels are hanging around the side I dose into. I need a third hole in the cover...

They're extremely intelligent. They are on the list of fish that seem so human like to me. Oscars especially need to have decor or something their tank to keep them entertained.

Oscars are incredibly smart, I taught mine to roll over, jump out of the tank, swim in circles, and go upside down. All with hand gestures and treats. It was like training a dog, no lie.

Oscars are incredibly smart, I taught mine to roll over, jump out of the tank, swim in circles, and go upside down. All with hand gestures and treats. It was like training a dog, no lie.

You will be known as the Fish Whisper from now on.
I'll see myself out.

Back
Top Bottom