How soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
My female peacock cichlid swallowed her young on march 7th I guess because we had to take somethings out of the tank to make more room and to make sure fish poo don’t build up in hard to reach places again and create the problem we just luckily fixed.

But now the two male OB Peacocks are trying to breed her again.

My question is, is it even safe for her to breed so soon?

She held the last batch for 4 weeks and did not eat a thing during that time.

The female Peacock will only mate when she is physically able too. Unfortunately male Cichlids in general aren't very patient or understanding and can actually badger the female to death.

The female Peacock will only mate when she is physically able too. Unfortunately male Cichlids in general aren't very patient or understanding and can actually badger the female to death.
Ohhh that's not good so maybe I should take her out? One OB is more persistent than the other.. And she's still quite thin from carrying the last batch.

She's only about 3" what would be the minimum size tank I can place just her in ?

A ten gallon tank would be fine. I hope things work out.

A ten gallon tank would be fine. I hope things work out.
I have my 10gallon sat up but how do I cycle it with nutrafin cycle? I haven't used it before. The substrate in the tank she's in didn't need to be cycled because of the substrate I bought (caribsea eco complete)

I instant cycle new tanks by taking a portion of aged filter media (usually a foam sponge) from an old pump then insert it in the media box of the new filter. I've never used any of the commerical benificial bacteria enhancers.

Back
Top Bottom