How to breed discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys my discus are not breeding because they are still small but I wanted to know for the future on how to breed discus. Anything from your personal encounters to information on discus. Thanks

their breeding habits are similar to angelfish.
Purchase 4-6 discus and let them pair up.

You can then purchase a breeding "cone" which serves as a place for them to lay their eggs.

they really like those special discus cones to spawn on.

opinions vary widely on discus care. some will tell you that you must use RO water and keep the hardness and PH down. Others will tell you to just use the water you have and not screw with it.

Less controversial is the idea that you should keep discus (especially breeders) by themselves. EDIT - when trying to get a pair buy 6 and let them pair up - then remove the others to another tank. A mature pair can live happily in a 20 gallon high tank, although a 29 is better. Many diseases that will only inconvenience angelfish and other fish will kill or sterilize discus (again this is a wee bit controversial).

Many also indicate that you should have no gravel in the tank at all and in some cases keep it completely bare.

Not controversial? They like it HOT - 86 F is a good place for them. avoid live foods like blackworms and get them on frozen bloodworms, sinking pellets, and perhaps some frozen discus food (you can even make this - but it involves putting shrimp in a blender - not as bad as it sounds). Also, change the water a LOT. many change 50% every day. You might not need to go so psycho, but 50% a week won't cut it.

So keep the tank warm, give them a spawning cone, probably keep the tank bare, feed them a lot, instantly clean up any uneaten food, and change the water a lot (remember to unplug the heater and only plug it back in when it's covered!!!!). Make the replacement water close to the same temp.

Then wait for nature to do the rest.

keep them happy, that's all there is to it. Mine are barely a year old and already spawning.

Back
Top Bottom