how to fix my micro bubbles!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have looked all over the internet, as well as asked mutiple ppl at lfs about this, and have had many different answers or ideals for solutions none have worked. This problem is only in my 55gal tank. Ever since this tank has had fish there have been micro bubbles. I had two bubble stones in here running which are no longer running, due to a lfs suggestion ( which I found rediculus) . The substrate in this tank is crushed coral. There are just so many micro bubbles in this tank. All of my test numbers have been consistant and great. I have two injured fish in here and they healed extremaly fast and easy, so I don't feel it has to due with water conditions. I have been doing weekly 20-25 % pwc as well as gravel vaccing once every week and half or so ( may be to much but my kenyi like to pinch off huge turds). I am up for any suggestions.
Filter system = 2 Hob filters one is 60gal tetra brand other is a top fin 70 gal.

Please help with this as it is bugging the crap out of me.
On a positive note all my fish appear to be extreamly happy.

i have had problems with air stones being to close to the outtake of the hob filters it sounds ridicules but that is my experience with it

T-man02 said:
i have had problems with air stones being to close to the outtake of the hob filters it sounds ridicules but that is my experience with it

Ya thats why I turned them off been two days and did water change and gravel vac since then and no change. Thanks though.

Another suggestion from lfs was my ph level mine has been stable at around 8.4. Is there any truth to ph causing this?

Well this is still a major problem has not got any better. Could have.to do with my substrate which is only crushed coral?

i use micro fine crushed coral in all my tanks, and get a stable ph of around 8.2 (very similar to you)

maybe you can try turning off one filter for a day and see if it improves, if not, try turn off the other filter instead?

i use a flexible bubble line which has an intake on both ends on my tanks, i have it placed along the back wall.

Oblivion said:
i use micro fine crushed coral in all my tanks, and get a stable ph of around 8.2 (very similar to you)

maybe you can try turning off one filter for a day and see if it improves, if not, try turn off the other filter instead?

i use a flexible bubble line which has an intake on both ends on my tanks, i have it placed along the back wall.

Thanks for.this suggestion I will give that a try.

my thoughts are that maybe you can eliminate one or both filters from the cause, and if it is one of the filters causing it you know what the culprit is.

i read a few different things which were:

some filters sucking in air via a tiny leak (venturi system) can create micro bubbles, and even new skimmers can cause the prob
some additives may increase surface tension on the water preventing them from bursting and escaping.

In canister filters if your fine polishing media is dirty it can cause this. I have air curtains in all mine, ESP in summer when temps rise . It adds depleted oxygen to your tank. ( the higher the temp the less oxygen ???)

Back
Top Bottom