How to lower ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
How would I go about lowering the ph from 7.6 to 7, that's the highest the jack Dempsey can have. I want all the levels to be just right. Is there something I could put in the tank to slowly bring down ph and stay there?

Chasnkevin4ever said:
How would I go about lowering the ph from 7.6 to 7, that's the highest the jack Dempsey can have. I want all the levels to be just right. Is there something I could put in the tank to slowly bring down ph and stay there?

Mfdrookie's right, there really is no need to lower your pH as long as it's stable. Fish can adapt to pH, so the more stable the better. Altering pH can lead to random changes which could lead to the death of your fish.

So my jack Dempsey will be ok with a high ph level?

Yes.... And 7.6 isn't exactly a "high" ph. If it were 8.4-8.6, that may be a bit more of a shock.

If you are buying from a LFS, float the bag to equalize temp, then drip acclimate, and he will be just fine.

Texas tap water is usually rock hard, limestone aquifers are the way of life. I would be very surprised if his tap was any lower than 7.6. Here it's about 8.2 and this is one of the geologically 'softer' regions of the state.

I agree, much better to have it stable... Just like heat. Once you start adding this that and the other, you will stress the fish. Plus can be costly. Consistency of your tank is a huge key to happy fish ? depending on the other contents of your water... Driftwood MAY lower it, but will also likely soften your water too. It doesn't always lower it tho. It didn't in my shrimp tank, but I wasn't adding it for that reason.

So PWC would help maintain your water in the 7.6 range. As stated above, keeping a constant pH is a lot more important than keeping a particular pH in most cases. There are some exceptions to this rule, as there are some fish with require a particular pH.

I raised a healthy jack dempsey to 6" in a 55g... pH in town is 8 straight from the tap

Back
Top Bottom