how to move a bad temperd tiger oscer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mel-joel-koopah-baby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, we have a bad temperd tiger oscor
when he was little we use to feed him life food but i think this made him agressive he also use to hit the top of his tank and move all his rocks now he is much much bigger and we need to move him we have tryed to but he jumps and bites even when we tryed a net so a nets out of the question . we thought sadating it but all the petshops tell us not to . they just dont understand how bad temperd it is we have to move it to our house as it is at mums and she wants it out she wont even feed it because it is so agressive and jumps at the top of tank coz of its agressiveness the water is now cloudy colour and we hardly feed him depending on the mood he is in he has allways been moody if we didint say hi when we walked in the room he would just go on his side and sulk he still does we dont want to get rid of him we want to keep him so please can some one help tell us a safe way to move him with out us or him gettin hurt his name is ( wildlife ) coz the day we braught him we donated to wildlife :) . but yeah need to move him also did we do wrong by feeding him live fish did this make him agressive ive been told they can be agressive
i have a 1 year old son and another baby on the way i want to know what to do with wild life as i dont want my kids gettin scared or hurt by him

sorry for taking up so much of ur time
and im sorry for my spelling its shocking :fish2:

I understand your frustration but it's just a fish. What are you planning on doing with the fish once it's caught? Cause right now its obviously being punished by the fact the water is not being changed and he's not being fed properly, no offense but I'd be a little upset too!

If your trying to catch him the best way is to lower the water level to just above his upper fin, then use one net to grab and one to cover. I've even used large sauce pots to grab large fish once the water level is down. Your going to get soaked if he's a big boy but no ones going to get hurt.

Before you net him whats the game plan after that? Is there a pet shop that will take him? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but in water conditions like what your described the fish is suffering. I'm not sure where your located, so I can't recommend a course of action other than LFS or Craigslist if you have that outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oscars are sometime like that but if you can't handle this and as hukit repeatedly said fish is upset cos of the tank condition then please stop keeping fish. The amount of aggression problem we deal with cichlids this sounds nothing. My red snakeheads bit me very badly the other day that doesnt mean I need to get rid of them or stop cleaning their tank!
Sorry but I'm harsh sometime.

Well It's probably good to Keep in mind that he regards the tank as his and he may feel the need to let you know that from time to time. Whats the problem with using a net?? He would probably be in a better mood if he were in a clean tank, so the sooner you get him out the better.

I hate when people buy an oscar with out realizing they can be agressive and territorial

HUKIT said:
I understand your frustration but it's just a fish. What are you planning on doing with the fish once it's caught? Cause right now its obviously being punished by the fact the water is not being changed and he's not being fed properly, no offense but I'd be a little upset too!

If your trying to catch him the best way is to lower the water level to just above his upper fin, then use one net to grab and one to cover. I've even used large sauce pots to grab large fish once the water level is down. Your going to get soaked if he's a big boy but no ones going to get hurt.

Before you net him whats the game plan after that? Is there a pet shop that will take him? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but in water conditions like what your described the fish is suffering. I'm not sure where your located, so I can't recommend a course of action other than LFS or Craigslist if you have that outlet.

I agree,I used a big towel to put over my fish and gently to him out,he didn't fight or anything,I think this is the easiest way

Oscars are one pet fish that you don't come by that often. I've got 13 oscars! And they are like my dogs. So don't know where you went wrong! As I said before my snakeheads bit my arms very badly that didn't stop me cleaning their tank. Ask others here how bad are snakeheads comparing with other fish forget about oscars aggression. Thats nothing.

Back
Top Bottom