Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How well do you know Brichardis?

My couple had fry, one survivor who is growing.

I wanted to know if fry could be taught to live in a community setting.

I would like to put him inside of my 45 gallon community tank (since once he grows up, he will probably end up fighting with his parents)

Angelfish
Electric Blue Acara
2 rams
2 tetras
2 glass catfish
Danio
Pleco
Indian glassfish

(Water parameters are exactly the same as my 20 gallong brichardi tank)
7.6 ph

Last time i put a brichardi in my community tank, he terrorized everyone and ended up getting his own tank.

So just to reiterate, is it possible to train a baby brichardi to live peacefully in a community tank if introduced early?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be hit or miss. Depends on the individual. I personally wouldn't do it. Also, brichardi are very interesting in that past generations help raise the future generations. These are colony fish, and should typically be tolerated by the original pair given adequate space

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes leave it and let the community grow. I love watching how the group interacts with eachother.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Won't they end up fighting over territory?

Its only a 20 gallon high tank
Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

So you guys think 20 gallons is sufficient space?

In the picture, there are 3. They used to be a trio, but it's now just 2 + 1 free swimmer and i assume are more eggs somewhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	280835  
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

How well do you know Brichardis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
It would be hit or miss. Depends on the individual. I personally wouldn't do it. Also, brichardi are very interesting in that past generations help raise the future generations. These are colony fish, and should typically be tolerated by the original pair given adequate space

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^^^this. If there's enough space you shouldn't have an issue with the young growing up with the parents. It would be, IMO, a better choice than putting it in the community tank. Brichardi are resilient fish, but tanganyikans have different optimum water parameters than SA/CA cichlids like rams and angels. I imagine it would probably end up being a huge jerk to the fish in the community tank eventually, especially with timid fish like the glass cats.
It would also be a good idea to maybe look at your community stock. Danios, glass cats, and tetras are all shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of conspecifics
Good luck!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggheadfish View Post
^^^this. If there's enough space you shouldn't have an issue with the young growing up with the parents. It would be, IMO, a better choice than putting it in the community tank. Brichardi are resilient fish, but tanganyikans have different optimum water parameters than SA/CA cichlids like rams and angels. I imagine it would probably end up being a huge jerk to the fish in the community tank eventually, especially with timid fish like the glass cats.
It would also be a good idea to maybe look at your community stock. Danios, glass cats, and tetras are all shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of conspecifics
Good luck!

^^these guys shouldn't get too aggressive, but I think you should get a bigger tank if you plan on keeping more to get their colonial behavior

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had a breeding colony of daffodils for about seven years. I generally had no trouble with in colony fighting as long as my big boss man was alive. When he passed, it was rough between four or five contenders for a week or so until they elected the new CEO. I loved watching the colony interact. Especially when there were two or three clutches hatched and a hundred tiny fry roaming around. Miss those guys terribly.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWolfe1974 View Post
I had a breeding colony of daffodils for about seven years. I generally had no trouble with in colony fighting as long as my big boss man was alive. When he passed, it was rough between four or five contenders for a week or so until they elected the new CEO. I loved watching the colony interact. Especially when there were two or three clutches hatched and a hundred tiny fry roaming around. Miss those guys terribly.
It's awesome until your hand has to go in the tank

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com