HUGE German Blue Rams!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

177ichael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally found some excellent German Blue Rams out in San Francisco recommended by some people at my LFS I frequent often. It is unbelievable... His rams were 3 1/2 inches long and extremely colorful!!! The body shapes are also different from any other rams I'd seen at all the other stores in the area. They more closely resemble the body shapes of the Bolivians. Very nice store!!!

I saw rams that size a month ago at a LFS. My Bolivian rams are only an inch or so--I have had them for over a year. I like them small :D

Did you bring any home???

Yep! Brought home a pair. He had 2 tanks side by side with 2 month old rams and 4 month old rams. The 4 month old rams were already about 3 inches long and showing great coloration. The 2 month olds had very little color, but the males were already bigger than other rams i'd seen in other stores. They have more of a bullish face and 'shoulders' than all the other rams i've seen. The owner of the store also showed me the breeding room he has set up for blue rams, discus, and angels. Very captivating to see a tank full of baby German Blues.

I'm really excited about these guys. :D I'll try to snap some shots later on if you are interested.

Oooh yeah; I wanna see pics.

Did you get a chance to find out his breeding techniques? Nutrition? I'd love to know how he managed such big rams!

His english is not very good, but from my understanding he's been breeding German Blue Rams, Discus, and Bolivians for years. I believe he's been in that same shop for 30+ years. He feeds all of his fish tubifex worms and brine shrimp he raises himself. His breeding room consisted of various tanks with different pairs of fish in each tank. The breeding tanks had nothing in them other than the filter and heater. He imports no fish from the far east and only uses his own stock for breeding. I believe his rams have a reputation for being the best in the area. He can also sell them for much less because he raises these fish on his own and does not have to pay for shipping costs.

I didn't realize German Blue Rams got that big until I saw his. They look like monsters!! 8O

That is impressive! Plus, you don't have to worry a ton about water parameters being different from your home tank since they are all locally bred and raised!

Omg. I was in a new (for me) fish store today (thanx Brian!) and they also had the HUGE Bolivians. Holy cow; they are absolutely enormous!! Make my poor ones look like midgets LOL Easily over 3 inches long NOT including fins. The owner said he had LARGER ones previously...oi!

No idea. They look just like my guys in terms of fin shape and coloration. Just HUGE LOL

These rams are German Blue Rams and huge the way German Blue Rams are supposed to be as described by the owner of the store.

Back
Top Bottom