Huge project in the works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I received some excellent news today, The owner of my favorite LFS called me today and asked if I would like to take over supplying him with his Apistogramma stock. Apparently he is not happy with the run of the mill stock is current breeder has been giving him, and to keep up with the area's ever growing demand for these fish he told me he would rather have someone local that can get a wider variety of species. So it looks like I am going to be looking into the small lot behind me to build a hatchery real soon.

Congrats. That is quite an accomplishment. I wish I was closer to you, I'd surely buy some of your apistos, as I find the same problem as your lfs with the apistos around here.

Thanks, I am going to be visiting Aquabid quite frequently to get as many different species as I can( ApistoDave is going to be very happy) to fill the empty breeding tanks that I have in my fishroom now and if need be they will creep throughout the house(my wife will not be too happy) until they are moved into a hatchery.

WP how are your Cacs doing? I got a trio of Triple Reds on Sunday they are real nice. They spawned in their quarintine tank this morning, I just wish I had a camera.

Gillie,

Cacs arent doing too well... they havn't spawned in a really long time... and last time they did it was a dud. The male is being extremely agressive to my female too... its not been very fun for her. I am thinking of taking the gravel out of their tank, and turning it into a BB. We'll see though.

Well here's an update(forgot to post this on Friday). I recieved another call and it looks like I will be breeding his West African dwarf stock also. Seeing that a certain friend of mine whom I thought would be capable, is totally unable to conduct himself in a business like manner. Apparently he was at the shop Friday morning to speak with the owner about what he would like him to breed and started using some pretty harsh language in front of his customers. So after I apologized to the owner for this mishap I went straight over and pulled all of my tanks from the moron's house. Every time I looked at him I just wanted to pop him one for pulling that stunt, but amazingly I was able to keep my composure and went on my way.

Yes it is another great opprotunity, but I am running out of space and had to go rent storage space as I have now invaded the storage area of our garage( my wife is fuming :lol: ). I am going to call the owner of the property behind me again today hopefully I can get ahold of him/her. Also I have decided on the basic constuction of the hatchery. Another friend of mine works for a company that builds "weatherproof" Homes, and he will be helping me during the build. The hatchery will be built out of concrete block with a foam injection in each block for insulation to add to what will be done inside.

Heres a list of the South Americans that I plan to breed.

A. Borelli
A. sp Opal
A. Elizabethae
A. Trifasciata
A. Steindachneri
A. Inka
A. Erymnopyge
A. Gibbiceps
A. Veijita
A. Hongloi
A. Cacatuoides
A. Hoignei