Hukit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here he is, still swimming strong. Not eating though, won't even go for any...

image-718858094.jpg

image-1512490975.jpg

image-877786301.jpg

image-343933182.jpg

image-2859515122.jpg

image-1506884790.jpg

Dude, that other fish beat the daylights out of him. The really only thing you can do at this time is keep the water conditions as pristine as possible, this along with as little stress as any rift lake tank can be. Even with all that he still may not make it I'm sorry to say.

With regards to the stringy white feces I would go ahead and treat for digestive issues. I normally recommend feeding a anti-protozoa medicated food but since he's not eating that won't be a viable option. The best medication for this in my opinion is Clout (this will stain silicone for short time). Follow this schedule and remove all carbon from the filtration as this remove and medication.

Day 1. Perform water change then treat at full dosage.
Day 2. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 3. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 4. Don't do anything again.
Day 5. Perform water change in excess of 50%.
Day 6. Don't do anything again.
Day 7. Massive water change in excess of 60-70%.
Day 8. Feed and see if everyone is eating.

The last thing I would add is Epsom salt dosed slowly at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, then replace the only the salt you've removed from the water changes.

The entire tank must be treated as they have been exposed. The last thing don't feed during this time as the digestive track must be clear.

Best option if they're eating.

Medicated Flake Food for Fish

Or if they're spitting or refusing foods.

Amazon.com: Sentry AQ Mardel Clout Tabs, 100ct: Pet Supplies

Last edited:
Which flake food would I purchase? And since the bi color isn't eating, I'd have to use clout. If doing so, I don't feed the tank for the whole 8 days?

Which flake food would I purchase? And since the bi color isn't eating, I'd have to use clout. If doing so, I don't feed the tank for the whole 8 days?

The anti-protazoa flakes but I wouldn't worry about that yet, find Clout or Parasite Guard from Tetra(Petsmart carries this), use the same schedule and yes don't feed for 7 days.

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes

Also, I have a crayfish, will he be ok to not eat for a week?

Also, I have a crayfish, will he be ok to not eat for a week?

Honestly I know next to nothing about crawfish(except they are delicsious)but I do know Clout wouldn't be a good idea with him. Do you have anywhere else to put him during treatment?

Last edited:
Honestly I know next to nothing about crawfish, but I do know Clout wouldn't be a good idea with him. Do you have anywhere else to put him during treatment?

I actually do not. He will probably eat the tablet though won't he? Also I'm not positive yet they have internal parasites, I introduced the bi color about a week ago. Would my other fish already be showing the symptoms?

Honestly I know next to nothing about crawfish, but I do know Clout wouldn't be a good idea with him. Do you have anywhere else to put him during treatment?

I got a boiling pot waiting for him!

Attachments

• image-1489741555.jpg
    image-1489741555.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 65
I actually do not. He will probably eat the tablet though won't he? Also I'm not positive yet they have internal parasites, I introduced the bi color about a week ago. Would my other fish already be showing the symptoms?

Your fish is showing all the symptoms I would recommend treating the entire tank. And hide the crawfish, you know how those Cajuns(Cbourg) are with those things!

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about grilling him myself (If he ate a fish or two only). When you say hide him, what exactly do you mean?

It was a joke since Cbourg wanted to eat him. I would treat with the Parasite Guard as its more gentle that Clout.

Ha I know.. Alright, so you don't think the cray will eat it?

Also just to be clear, I have parasite guard. I only drop the tablet in 3 times?

Alright good. And the fish will be ok to not eat for 8 days, right? That seems like a long time

Just hitting you with questions hard. The parasite tablets treat 10 gallons, so I have to use 7 tablets each time I treat?

They're be fine. Holding females go for 3 weeks without eating a week this won't hurt them a bit, especially since most people tend to overfeed anyways.

Just hitting you with questions hard. The parasite tablets treat 10 gallons, so I have to use 7 tablets each time I treat?

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom