Hybrid Cichlid identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
A local hobbyist on craigslist was selling some of his Africans. I saw this one and asked him what kind of fish it was. He told me it was some sort of hybrid. Probably a mix of yellow lab and something else. I think the fish looks absolutely beautiful and I am very pleased to have it. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of hybrid it is? Also, are hybrid cichlids typically sterile or can this one breed with some of the other Africans in my tank?

image-155467240.jpg

image-3533355123.jpg

image-3865658945.jpg

image-67676405.jpg

image-2041688290.jpg

image-1448965531.jpg

image-3416711206.jpg

Wow very weird but nice looking fish!

Sorry cant help with breeding but I am sure they can.

If you dont mind how much was hes

Hmmm that's strange, I bought one of these from my local aquarium store a few months ago. They never told me it was a hybrid, I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

That's no hybrid its a Chewere very nice fish been looking for one for a while now. Looks a little beat up tho.

Sorry for Double post

That's no hybrid its a Metriaclima Elongatus Chewere

You are correct, there are many many species of cichlids and many times uncommon species are dismissed as hybrids. But if it were a hybrid it would be nearly impossible to tell what it's parents were since there can be such a great variation in physical appearance even within the same group of fry.

That's no hybrid its a Chewere very nice fish been looking for one for a while now. Looks a little beat up tho. Sorry for Double post

Thanks. The guy I bought it from wanted to get rid of it because it was being bullied by the other fish in his tank.

I had someone tell me it was a Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga. How do I tell the difference?

Back
Top Bottom