I find this difficult to answer alone, can someone help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have a tank with a few african cichlids in it
They have been doing great for years!
But in considering redecorating the tank at some point and i had a thought
I love the way saltwater live rock looks, Would anyone think it would be alright if i bleached out some live rock then dechlorinating it afterwards (just to kill off whatever could be inside and to make it a nice white color)

Not sure if this is a safe move
What do you think?

If I'm right they make a saltwater rock that is not alive. I think its called base rock. You might want to look into that.

Base rock would still need to be soaked in freshwater before placing it in your tank, as it is still ocean rock. Once soaked, you should be fine to add it. The slightly lower pH of the freshwater will cause the calcium carbonate in the rock to break down over time - this will help to raise your pH, but will result in a slow deterioration of the rock. The biggest factor with using it will actually be the sharp edges.

Ive heard of base rock
I like it but my main reason for asking about bleaching live rock was because i can get it dirt cheap and hand pick the ones that i want. Do you guys not think this is a good idea? Lol
Base rock would be ideal if i could get it cheaoer and hand pick the ones that ivwant but there isnt a place around here that actually sells base rock

What about just coral insert's if you like the look? Can really brighten a tank, and after a few quick searches, there are some good looking pieces out there that wont break the bank!

What about just coral insert's if you like the look? Can really brighten a tank, and after a few quick searches, there are some good looking pieces out there that wont break the bank!

You mean coral skeletons?
Im looking more for a lot of caves and holes and whatnot,
And live rock has tons of little holes that fry can fit in which would be nice
Wanted to give breeding my dafodil birchardi and also my red zebra (not a cross between lol)

But also as i said above
I can get live rock for like $4 a pound which is CHEAP for my area which is a big reason i wanted to take that route

Buying live rock to kill off !!! In the uk we call it ocean rock , as above says state side Texas Holly rock , there are many options but why kill off live rock

You mean coral skeletons? Im looking more for a lot of caves and holes and whatnot, And live rock has tons of little holes that fry can fit in which would be nice Wanted to give breeding my dafodil birchardi and also my red zebra (not a cross between lol) But also as i said above I can get live rock for like $4 a pound which is CHEAP for my area which is a big reason i wanted to take that route

Go to a landscaping place you can get most rock for $.10-.20 a pound?

Back
Top Bottom