I Gave In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to say male but it's hard to tell.

And I don't know of any serious aquarist that regularly does equipment or fish shopping at walmart, they have mostly junk (yayyyy tetra equips, lol) and an extremely limited selection, and everyone knows how terrible their fish are. LFS don't go out of business because of big box stores, they go out of business because they don't adapt their business model to stay competitive. I know this from dealing with local pet stores (including a couple of closing ones), but it's always easier to place blame on some faceless entity.

Honestly man it seems like you got sold a sob story. That's a ton of money to pay for a single discus anywhere, let alone in a shop that is closing.

Even if they were completely getting rid of everything including a moderately small tank in their own house that could hold those couple of fish, they aren't forced to do anything, and rehoming via breeders isn't a bad thing, so I'm not sure why it's being portrayed negatively. (Petco is another story)

Hey!

The explanation was that the walmart was the place where all the newbs to the hobby got tanks filters gravel and decor.

They only came to that store for advice and the odd fish.

Tanks tend to cost more than fish, no?

The guy also said it was no wonder, "This place is being run like it's 1975.

Ever heard of a jet black discus?

The breeders were sporadically located and he preferred to give the fish to me. The Discus was super dark and had purple streaks everywhere like veins, staggeringly beautiful.

It were locally raised too.

:(

A super dark discus is a stressed and/or sick discus. I hope your friend put the fish in QT.

I asked if he was really selling a $120 Discus that was sick. I know next to nothing about them but that I did.

He showed me the mom, she was brown with blue streaks.

The father was turqoise and purple streaked.

He said he probably thought it was some recessive trait.

Yeah he did, he is top notch at fish.

Hi,

It is pretty hard to tell from the pic and video still. I'm kinda leaning towards a male but am not sure. Do you have a better picture or any way to take one?

Sharkbait54 said:
Ya I didn't wanna make a big deal but my lfs sells full grown discuss for 100 bucks

Yeah Discus do run pretty expensive
But I haven't seen them pass the 60$ mark yet
But I wouldn't pay 125$ for a dark looking one
If I knew the variation of Discus & what was wrong with it
Then maybe I'd offer something for it & I'd bring it up to health

Back
Top Bottom