I Gave In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to my LFS Splash Landing today. Half the tanks were empty... They are shutting down.

I'm inexplicably sad. I tried to save some fish.

I had to, so I did. I bought the last Bolivian Ram and the last Discus. Discus cost me a pretty penny of $125.

I rushed to a friend's house, said merry Christmas, and gave him the discus. (Breeder)

So I brought Solo the ram home. Female? Male?

He is only moderately aggressive while feeding. He seems happy and alert.

The crappy iPhone 3g pic does not do him justice...

Attachments

• image-2869289066.jpg
    image-2869289066.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 140
Went to my LFS Splash Landing today. Half the tanks were empty... They are shutting down.

I'm inexplicably sad. I tried to save some fish.

I had to, so I did. I bought the last Bolivian Ram and the last Discus. Discus cost me a pretty penny of $125.

I rushed to a friend's house, said merry Christmas, and gave him the discus. (Breeder)

So I brought Solo the ram home. Female? Male?

He is only moderately aggressive while feeding. He seems happy and alert.

The crappy iPhone 3g pic does not do him justice...

Nice Ram, I want to get a Ram someday :). That was one nice Christmas gift for your friend, they must have loved it!

Sorry about your LFS closing down, I can relate. :(

Great store, amazing people, 26 years of buisness. The WalMart shut em' down. People bought all tanks and filters from walmart, and barely anything from the private store.

Thanks! He is very handsome.. Or she. I am feeding umm

Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold

Aqueon Tropical Flakes

The cichlid food is floating, he jumps .5-1 inches out of the water trying to annihlate it LOL.

Or however you spell it.. Annhilate?

QP

Would need clearer side pics of the fish once it's settled in to try to guess the sex.

Why do you consider it 'saving' them? Just because the store is going out of business doesn't mean they are just going to throw them out the window.

It's sad when these old LFS go out of business but that's just the nature of the beast, adapt or go extinct.

That's a nice Bolivian ran you got there :) I'm sure your friend was really happy to get a $125 discus for Christmas lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Great store, amazing people, 26 years of buisness. The WalMart shut em' down. People bought all tanks and filters from walmart, and barely anything from the private store.

Thanks! He is very handsome.. Or she. I am feeding umm

Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold

Aqueon Tropical Flakes

The cichlid food is floating, he jumps .5-1 inches out of the water trying to annihlate it LOL.

Or however you spell it.. Annhilate?

QP
That is a shame that they are closing. I hate to see mom & pop places go, they are much better than the big-box stores, especially Wal-Mart. I don't know about yours, but the ones I have seen have very unhealthy fish.

It is great that the Ram is eating well! You have a lid on your tank, right? :lol:

Last edited:
Haha I do.

Here is a pic-

And he was VERY happy!

I'll post a better pic.

Attachments

• image-1923714059.jpg
    image-1923714059.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-263666227.jpg
    image-263666227.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 107
Used my dad's iPhone 4-

Attachments

• image-2335728322.jpg
    image-2335728322.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-494102139.jpg
    image-494102139.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 104
Better clarity, but they are flipped for some reason, I'll edit from the computer later.

Thanks Gboy!

Well, my video is uploading to YouTube right now, I'll link you guys up :)

Would need clearer side pics of the fish once it's settled in to try to guess the sex.

Why do you consider it 'saving' them? Just because the store is going out of business doesn't mean they are just going to throw them out the window.

It's sad when these old LFS go out of business but that's just the nature of the beast, adapt or go extinct.

They are forced to give away to Petco and breeders. The guy told me the Discus and the Ram were his two favorite fish in the whole store and he wanted to see them in good hands and not corporate moneymakers.

QuietPlotter said:
They are forced to give away to Petco and breeders. The guy told me the Discus and the Ram were his two favorite fish in the whole store and he wanted to see them in good hands and not corporate moneymakers.

Lol I think 125 for a discus that they were gonna give away is way too much.

I do too. No room though. My 29 is empty, maybe in the future. Thanks, I felt I was paying my last "debts" to the store.

Lol, apparently the ram didn't really want to give the camera a nice profile shot. I still think its a girl, but its honestly a bit hard to tell on my computer. But, I think female.

Back
Top Bottom