I have 2 fish I'm not 100% on what they are.. annnnd...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Soo attached is a picture of the 2 fish that I'm not really sure what breed they are.. I think the dark fish is a jack d. but I'm clueless as to which kind the leopard print fish is.. Does anyone know?

5527600906_ee9422c2bf.jpg

Also, the darker one which I assume to be a jack was being chased by the leopard fish when I first added the jack. Now the jack is chasing the leopard fish 24-7. Is this going to end or will I have to remove jack to spare leo's torture??

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

Still somewhat of a newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey the leperd fish is a managuenese fish which are called jaguar cichlids but it's normal when they are chasing around for territorial but how Manu gallons is ur tank?

thanks oscarfish!

i actually posted the message twice so i did get the name of the jag cichlid but no one knows what the darker fish is.. maybe a black belt cich? i dunno lol

and i brought the black fish back to the pet store yesterday and got a firemouth instead.

i have a 55gal FW w/ an oscar (9"), 2 parrots (3" each), a shovelnose cat (6"), my jaguar cichlid (3 1/2"), & the new firemouth (2 1/2")

i had a siamese flying fox (7"+) but when i bought him they told me he was old & he def was cuz he died :(

its a venustus

Hey the leperd fish is a managuenese fish which are called jaguar cichlids but it's normal when they are chasing around for territorial but how Manu gallons is ur tank?
its not a jag its a giraffe cichlid also known as venustus.google venustus cichlid and it will give you all the info you need. its also an an african cichlid and the jack is south american i have had giraffes in the past and they are more difficult cichlids to care for.lol not even close to a jag

Yep, that's a venustus. A hap from lake malawi. Definitely shouldn't be in that tank. It'll get 12"+, requires a much different diet than those other fish, and will cause you nothing but problems.

how so mfdookie? he is fine w/ my parrots & my cat & he chills around my oscar all day.. i got rid of that darker fish & ever since the tank has been harmonious..

i will also be upgrading my tank to a 90gal+ once we get a new place

because you just don't mix africans and sa/ca cichlids. They have far different requirements. They also have different aggression levels. I can't say for sure which way it will end up, but that venustus will either be killed, or kill everything in the tank. That fish needs a 6' tank and should be with other haps, or at least other african cichlids.

well thanks for the heads up. i had a green terror that grew up & got territorial w/ my oscar & even though he was beautiful i gave him to my buds @ the pet store before somethin happened.

i'll keep an even closer eye on all my fish but still gonna see how it plays out. he's been in that tank since he was about 1inch & hes never been aggressive at all. & from my terror experience i know it doesnt matter but HOPEFULLY he'll be an exception. :/ we'll see.....

Back
Top Bottom