I have FRY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my n. brichardi do! The other day I was saying to my g/f, "i've had these guys for 3 months and no breeding". After everyone has told me about how these particularly breed "like rabbits". This morning I woke up and looked into the tank and i saw all this "white stuff" floating around, and i though "great, something's wrong". I looked closer and that white stuff was moving! FRY!!! I was sooo happy, as I am a first time cichlid keeper.

There are tons of caves in the tank, do I need to do anything else to ensure their safety? There are 4 brichardi (not including the fry!) in the 29gal. Also, I was trying to search on what to feed them and i could not find much. Any suggestions on what to feed them and when???

I'm pretty excited about this!

The best would be freshly hatched brine shrimp; although, when my brichardi were breeding, I had trouble keeping a fresh stock of baby brine shrimp. You can get fry bites for the fry at any LFS, or use finely crushed flake.

I always find that my fry do well in a tank that is REALLY established and has tons of areas for growing microscopic food for the fry in and among algae or on sponge filters... But I am not trying to sell the fry, so there tends to be some die off of the spawn (sometimes 70 percent die) since I don't give them much else to live on and they get eaten by other adults or their own parents after the parents spawn again (which they will). The one time I tried daphnia through a feeding tube, they did pretty good tho. Depends what you want to do with the fry. If you wanna sell them, you will most likely need a seperate grow out tank for the majority of them to reach a sellable size. Have fun trying to catch the little buggers with a turkey baster!!!

Back
Top Bottom