I just found our first Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Kenyi just had her Fry!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I only fond one so far but they are so friggin tiny it's hard to see them. the only reason I found the one was that Rainbow (mom) was out from under the terrace looking like she wanted food for the first time in weeks so I gave her some NSL Grow since she's been without food for so long and she ate, a lot. But I noticed she had a skinny face again. Then I saw one tiny, tiny little thing hopping across the gravel. It was soooo cute! :dance:

Vey cool, but are they in a holding tank or the display? I've never had fry survive my display tanks even with hundreds of pounds of holey rock. But I'm first this is the first many...congrats.

Very cool, but are they in a holding tank or the display? I've never had fry survive my display tanks even with hundreds of pounds of holey rock. But I'm first this is the first many...congrats.

As soon as I realized that Rainbow was holding I put her in a tank by herself. So it's just Mom and fry in a very low light tank.
Should I remove Rainbow now, or is she fine in with her fry while they grow?

PS. I love that Texas Holy rock it's just beautiful to look at.My hope it to get a 75g for our Mbunas and use a lot of Texas Holy Rock.

As soon as I realized that Rainbow was holding I put her in a tank by herself. So it's just Mom and fry in a very low light tank.
Should I remove Rainbow now, or is she fine in with her fry while they grow?

I always return her to the main tank within a couple of days, I know it's time when she stops sucking up the fry when ever I come to the tank.

I always return her to the main tank within a couple of days, I know it's time when she stops sucking up the fry when ever I come to the tank.

Thank you that's really good to know.
And, OMG!!!!! How many of those clowns do you have? I know I have a bit of a phobia towards clowns but your clowns really are creepy, sorry.

Congrates on your first - you must be doing something right if you got the Kenyi to breed! I could never get them to do anything besides kill each other, even in a 100gal rock filled tank.

Congrates on your first - you must be doing something right if you got the Kenyi to breed! I could never get them to do anything besides kill each other, even in a 100gal rock filled tank.

I would like to take credit but she did it, well not by her self but I had nothing to do with it.
I think the only part I played was that I kept exchanging any fish that was even a little bit of a bully. All the Mbunas I have now seem to like each other. There aren't any territorial issues or fighting of any kind. I have a tranquil tank of Mbunas.
So with everyone at peace it made breeding easier for her. That's my theory anyway.
I found a second fry today, they are so tiny right now that each one can hide behind a single piece of gravel. I've never seen anything like it. Their eyes are smaller than the head of a pin, but you can still see them looking around. Yesterday they couldn't even swim and today I saw one swimming. It's all kind of miraculous, life in something so tiny.

I was able to move Rainbow (the Kenyi Mom) out of the Qt an put her in the main tank.
The fry are still to small to get an accurate count of how many there are,but it looks like there may be 20 are so.
It's difficult to believe something that small con do all they do on their own.

Update on the fry.
They are all swimming now, no more hopping around the bottom of the tank. I was able to watch one of the fry eat today, it was cool. So tiny and popping at the at the food like they do when they are full grown.
I feel like a new parent with pictures of their new baby doing nothing. It's all new and cool to me but to everyone else who's had fry before are they're thinking "oh god, big deal the fry eat". But it lets me know my fry are doing OK if they are eating.

WendiDell said:
Update on the fry.
They are all swimming now, no more hopping around the bottom of the tank. I was able to watch one of the fry eat today, it was cool. So tiny and popping at the at the food like they do when they are full grown.
I feel like a new parent with pictures of their new baby doing nothing. It's all new and cool to me but to everyone else who's had fry before are they're thinking "oh god, big deal the fry eat". But it lets me know my fry are doing OK if they are eating.

Yay!!! Congrats!!

Congrats on the baby feesh! Would love to see pics. :)

I'll try but they are all soooo tiny. Each fry can hide behind a single piece of gravel, it makes them really friggin hard to see let alone photograph. I'm not a very good photographer, so don't get your hopes up.

Awww theyre so cute!

Thanks, I think so too. It wasn't easy getting pictures of those little buggers and I have a great zoom on my camera.
I find myself just watching them and forgetting everything else.
One time I was doing PWC on our 55g Mbuna tank and I got side tracked watching the fry, until I heard a lot of water splashing onto the carpet because I let the tank over flow. Not a good thing to do. It was a big "OH ****" and running into the kitchen to turn the water off. What a mess.

Back
Top Bottom