I just wasted $40!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drd77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased 2 African Cichlids 2 days ago for a total of $40. They were promptly killed off by another african cichlid who is a big bully/got a thirst for blood it seems. The established cichlid tormented and nipped them both to death in two freaking days!!!! These 2 fish were perfectly healthy on the outside. And the fish store I bought them from says they won't do anything because this is the nature of cichlids! What gives? So I guess I can't buy anymore cichlids until this one dies or I give it away. Now I'm stuck with 2 fish in a 29 gallon boring tank. Anyone else have this kind of trouble or have any advice on what to do. I like fish keeping, but I'm really frustrated right now.

wow, i have 17 cichlids in my tank now which i stocked a few at a time over the last 3 months and havnt had neone get killed. would the bully be a male auratus by chance? i could see one of those being highly territorial if he was in the tank first. i added my male auratus after i already had about 8-10 fish in and he's not too horribly bad.

i know a lot of people dont like this, but you could try petsmart fish, atleast you will have a 2 week guarantee on ANY deaths.

The best way to introduce, IMO is to turn out the lights and Rearrange the decor then add acclimated fish. And leave lights off for a day. I have never had any problems adding any fish to any if my tanks..... Knock on wood... From adding small to full size ( rescues). Sorry about your loss. Your tank is a bit small as well for Africans, unless they are dwarfs...

The best way to introduce, IMO is to turn out the lights and Rearrange the decor then add acclimated fish. And leave lights off for a day. I have never had any problems adding any fish to any if my tanks..... Knock on wood... From adding small to full size ( rescues). Sorry about your loss. Your tank is a bit small as well for Africans, unless they are dwarfs...
thats exactly the way i did it before. its how i add any fish lol

wow, i have 17 cichlids in my tank now which i stocked a few at a time over the last 3 months and havnt had neone get killed. would the bully be a male auratus by chance? i could see one of those being highly territorial if he was in the tank first. i added my male auratus after i already had about 8-10 fish in and he's not too horribly bad.
tank size? and how big are the cichlids

various sizes, the smallest are probably 2-2.5 inches, the bigger ones are 4-4.5. i purchased the smaller ones probably about a half inch smaller than they are now and the bigger ones i mostly got them about that size. they are in a 75 gallon.

I have about 18 2" cichlids in my 75 gal and only had a single death (was weak to begin with I believe); IMO you need a much larger tank

no larger tank in the future here....i was told by more than a few very experienced cichlid keepers on this page that 15-20 is just right for stocking.. noone who keeps cichlids expects to not have fights and deaths. its bound to happen no matter what you do.

If you're refering to my setup, thank although I apperciate your concerns, there's no need to worry; I'm just growing some out til I can seperate out some males and figure out what species I like

bcurlacher54 said:
no larger tank in the future here....i was told by more than a few very experienced cichlid keepers on this page that 15-20 is just right for stocking.. noone who keeps cichlids expects to not have fights and deaths. its bound to happen no matter what you do.
I'm experienced too. Believe me its gonna happen

Drd77 said:
I just purchased 2 African Cichlids 2 days ago for a total of $40. They were promptly killed off by another african cichlid who is a big bully/got a thirst for blood it seems. The established cichlid tormented and nipped them both to death in two freaking days!!!! These 2 fish were perfectly healthy on the outside. And the fish store I bought them from says they won't do anything because this is the nature of cichlids! What gives? So I guess I can't buy anymore cichlids until this one dies or I give it away. Now I'm stuck with 2 fish in a 29 gallon boring tank. Anyone else have this kind of trouble or have any advice on what to do. I like fish keeping, but I'm really frustrated right now.

Most Africans have no business in that small of a tank. Aside from the fish living a horrible life from being cramped in such a small tank, aggression is going to be multiplied big time... If you want any Africans short of shellies or a small number of tangs, you meed a 4' tank, a 6' tank for most Haps and some mbuna

Oh please 75g is plenty hes not putting 20 africans in there.. Decor the tank with good hiding spots and you wont have a problem

Back
Top Bottom