I like blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I like blue, is there a mild tempered African Mbuna Cichlid from Lake Malawi that will get to be about three to four inches long?

The only Blue-ish Mbuna would be your Cobalt Zebras.

I know some people complain about aggression with Zebras but in an Mbuna tank... Who cares.. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh I forgot about Johanni/Maingano's.

They both come in black and blue colours.

Female kenyi, zebras, electric blue johanni. You would have to have lots of rocks and planted areas and stick with other mbunas.

The only Blue-ish Mbuna would be your Cobalt Zebras.

I know some people complain about aggression with Zebras but in an Mbuna tank... Who cares.. ?

The bulk of Mbuna/haps from Lake Malawi are some combination of yellow or blue.....

Blue and yellow are the dominant colors in Lake Malawi.

I'm still disagreeing... Name some other blue species if there are that many.

The OP asked a simple question and got 2/3 simple answers.

I'm still disagreeing... Name some other blue species if there are that many.

The OP asked a simple question and got 2/3 simple answers.

Your joking right? How about nearly every variant of Cynotilapia, Metraclima, and Labeotropheus. I can list off another hundred species by including haps and peacocks if you don't believe us.

Here 75% of this list is blue...

Cichlid Profiles

Mild temper is pretty hard to find in cichlids in general lol. Cobalt blue, female Kenyi, yellow tail acei. And such are nice fish.

Nahh.

If you meant pure blue then the only one I can think of is Metriaclima callainos. However like HUKIT stated the vast majority of the fish from Lake Malawi are some combination of yellow/blue/black, including the fish in your avatar. It would actually be easier to name the fish that aren't yellow/blue/black. When I help people come up with stock lists it's actually pretty challenging to get a good diversity in color (that's not blue or yellow) , especially with Mbuna and peacocks.

Had good luck with my Saulosi. Nice blue males and yellow females. On the dwarf side and pretty mellow.

Here are pics of my yellow tail acei(s) and my cobalt blue. No aggression whatsoever from them. The cool thing about aceis is they are one of the few mbuna that school.

Attachments

• joe_cobaltblue.jpg
    joe_cobaltblue.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 54
  • joe_aceipack.jpg
    joe_aceipack.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 49
  • joe_blueacei.jpg
    joe_blueacei.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom