I lucked into a free 125ga Cichlid Tank, Need fish ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Brother has to move into an apt. and he couldn't bring his 125 ga tank, so now it's in my basement. Its a 4x2x2 tank with an Eheim 2227 Filter. First off, I need to ID the fish, can anyone help? Second, I plan to add some Java Ferns and Anubias Nana's from my planted tank, does anyone have any layout or scaping suggestions?

TIA

img_822547_0_e54625a42067cfc888e4837f5eb107d7.jpg

img_822547_1_b30b6ba5d2635de4f0c0b65dda644d95.jpg

img_822547_2_3be919d43e84544e777764981df265dc.jpg

Sorry I can't help with the ID's but that's a nice tank and very nice fish. I wish I were so lucky. I think a tank that's 4' x 2' x 2' is 120 g. I think 125g tanks are usually 6' long.

yellow one = yellow lab Labidochromis caeruleus
blue one is probaly Metriaclima callainos
i belive the one right below the blue one is a male Paralabidochromis sp. "Rock Kribensis"
i have seen the black ones in the LFS, but i can not remeber what they are...:(

HTH a little

I agree on the Yellow Lab aka Yellow Electric. If you are planting anything, my now dead yellow electric used to rip my plants up a bit. Make sure to bury them and pile rocks up around the base to make it harder on the fish to remove your plant.

The yellow one is a yellow lab. The dark ones look a lot like acei, but I wouldn't swear to it. The one with the vertical stripes looks like one of the hap species from Lake Victoria.

JustOneMore20 said:
The black ones look kinda like Acei.....are they black or purplish?

they are not purple, they are all black. I loked the Acei up and they are more blue/purple.

u2_Crazy said:
JustOneMore20 said:
The black ones look kinda like Acei.....are they black or purplish?

they are not purple, they are all black. I loked the Acei up and they are more blue/purple.

The black one's are a type of acei (there are several types, the most commonly available being the purple yellow-tailed variety).

The acei in the photo are Pseudotropheus sp. acei "Tanzanian Black".

Also, the blue-ish stocky fish appears to be a male 'wild type' metriaclima estherae (blue morph "red zebra").

Very excellent tank and fish!

Unsure on the black one as I would have guessed acei as well...couldn't tell if it was black or a blueish hue. Sorry but congrats on the 125!

The one that JDogg I.D.'d as Paralabidochromis actually is Astatotilapia Latifasciata. Some people refer to them as a Zebra Obliquidens, but looking at it's red tail, it may also be Astatotilapia Sp. "Red Tail"... I am not sure if the A. Latifasciata has a red tail or not. They are both closely related though.

Blue Fish is a Metriaclima callainos (Blue Cobalt) easily confused with Metriaclima estherae Males are blue in the Wild. 99% of the male Metriaclima estherae found in LFS are Red. Metriaclima estherae males in blue wild morph also exhibit faint but visible vertical bars.

The black fish with yellow tails and white dorsal fin tip is a Pseudotropheus spec."Acei Tanzanian Black"

The Yellow fish is probably the most recognizable African Cichlid Labidochromis caeruleus or Yellow Lab.

The last fish is a Hap sp. 44 or Hap sp. ''Red Tail''. Its another fish that can be very confusing with another fish that very closely resembles it that lives in Lake Victoria the Paralabidochromis sp. "Rock Kribensis" There are a few easy ways to tell the difference one way is by size where the Hap is 1-2 inches longer than the Krib another is the Krib has a somewhat visible horizontal line that intersects the vertical bars in the middle of the body and another is the Kribs Caudal fin is red on the end where as the Haps entire Caudal fin is red.

I agree it is quite uncommon to find them and you should be proud, as I think he is one of the coolest fish in that tank! :D

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. Turns out I myself just purchased nine A. Latifasciata fry from a breeder who sold both species. They are just juveniles, but the little male who is all colored up is definately showing a red tail, so I think the guy may have made a mistake and sent me the Sp. 44s. First time I would be happy about getting the wrong fish! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom