I really did it this time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well.. nothing like a lightning deal on Craigslist to swing plans and funds.. I guess I keep discus now:( this is going to be the death of me..
36e711d378636d6ede5b69a31c2e657b.jpg

Congrats on the new adventure! You can do this.
I don't know David.. this has been one of those things.. wanted to but really didn't have the extra funds for properly raised, display tank ready adults. This is a trial run. I've set this tank up for easy food removal and wcs as I'll be doing that alotttttt. In the picture you'll notice some plumbing, this will allow drainage to about 2" above bottom and hopefully create a vacuum to remove food. I have a vacuum hose as well if it fails to simplify. This is Qt, if all goes well they'll be in my updated 75 gal. (Ps. If anyone in Boston wants some huge angels and other free fish? Pm me.)
18d665d18d3af05800872133585ff25d.jpg

You could fashion a v-shaped false bottom with glass/acrylic to help funnel the uneaten food and waste to the drain.
I think it would be cool if you rig up a continuous drip setup. Or have 50% of the volume drip in over a period of a day or two.
Can't recall if the 75g was a low or low medium tank.

I was thinking continuous but chasing parameters may prove more problematic than missing a daily wc here and there? I'm mixing my own water. I need to throw a low flow power head to help that food/poo to drain. I don't want to automate this too.much, I need to be hands on twice daily, at least. 75 will remain low, moving a.ton of fish out and a ton of massive java fern in

Brookster you crack me up. Good pick up. You won't have any problem raising them. I kept discus back in the Jack wattley era. Even bought two of his. Started like you, bare tank with clay flower pots. Evolved to gravel, driftwood and rocks. Was sorry to give them up after a big move. A few got big as small dinner plates. Frozen bloodworms & brine shrimp, can't lose.
Congratulations. Looking forward to the updates.

I already did a 50% wc after they mowed down a bunch of.frozen brine. They're comfortable?? I think??

Brookster you crack me up. Good pick up. You won't have any problem raising them. I kept discus back in the Jack wattley era. Even bought two of his. Started like you, bare tank with clay flower pots. Evolved to gravel, driftwood and rocks. Was sorry to give them up after a big move. A few got big as small dinner plates. Frozen bloodworms & brine shrimp, can't lose.
Congratulations. Looking forward to the updates.
That's good, I made my boss cry today so at least i bring joy to some! This dude had 2 breeding pairs that were literally the size of 7"discus!!! Salad plates!!! They were stunners! And i got they're babies woo! This guy says he doesn't change water very often in grow outs? I don't know if it's a secret method or sales tactic?

Thanks people's! They're not shy, went down this morning and they were at the glass. I need to get the feeding routine dialed in. I've been instructed to feed them 5-6 times a day! I'm thinking
545 am- blood worms
Auto pellets at 11 and 2
Flake around 5pm
Frozen brine around 7-8
Big wc and bed!

You are your fishes bi-otch. Lol
No joke.. I've been having an inner battle with myself all day. What have I done?!?!? You did awesome thing guy! Smile happy and feed fish! No.. I'm an idiot, I already work a million hours a week and fall asleep like I'm 90 years old after an all day bingo marathon! No, fish look sweet, shut up and change water guy! (For some reason monologue has a Canadian accent???)

What your feeling is one of the best parts of the hobby. Impulsive buy"expensive fish or gizmo" arriving home to a wife who is not quite as happy with the purchase and explaining to her why you needed it. Then making everything come together. "repeat".

What your feeling is one of the best parts of the hobby. Impulsive buy"expensive fish or gizmo" arriving home to a wife who is not quite as happy with the purchase and explaining to her why you needed it. Then making everything come together. "repeat".
Yah... it was rushed.. I'm usually impulsive with the hobby anyways but this was a get them now or they're gone deal. I think I can make it work. It will be a massive relief to plop them in the 75 in a few weeks. Way more cushion.. luckily wife doesn't care anymore because she doesn't have to look at the tanks unless she wants too.. my cave!!! Hah.

Hey I totally take orders from my Pug so I completely understand.

But it will be so rewarding if all that hard work pans out.

Good for you dude! As long as it makes you happy that's what makes it fun. I went from over 2000 gallons to a single 72b with wild caught fish and I couldn't be happier. I don't miss spending 3-4hrs per week changing water but I do miss those impulse WC buys from Jeff and Gage?

Back
Top Bottom