I should not have picked up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recieved a call from my wife, she was walking past the tank with the oscar pair and saw a unusual amount of water on the floor so naturally she looked in the tank to find one of the oscars killed their mate. They get a little rough when spawning but have never realy inflicted damage to one each other. I'm not sure if it's the male or female until I get home later, maybe they saw the new one I resuced this past weekend and decided they like that one better. It's extremely difficult to get a pair of oscars so this truly sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Oscars, I know how much of yourself you put into your fish.
I hope the rescued Oscar will work out for you.

I checked them when I got home and the male killed the female, I've had them spawn 3 times now so this is somewhat uncommom but unfortunately not unheard of with south american cichlids.

Sorry to hear hukit. I know this is a possible outcome with Oscar pairs, but sad when it happens.

If I could, I would fly my avatar at half mast.

As I said earlier, I am so sorry to hear about your Oscar.
They have always seemed like such cool fish to have, let alone breed. In fact, I have wanted a pair of Oscars since I started keeping cichlids. Now I'm having second thoughts, if they are known to kill each other I'm not sure I'd want to invest so much. I guess it's one of those things your stuck with when your dealing with aggressive fish. But they are so much more interesting to watch.
Even when your not trying your an education.

Sooo Sorry to hear that HUKIT. Losing any fish sucks. I have only had single Oscars and they have gotten along well with my other cichlids. Hopefully the next one works out. Good luck!

Its sad and frustrating at the same time.
Breeding has a bunch of pitfalls and death is the biggest for sure.
Sorry to hear it.

It's almost impossible to find a mate at this stage of his life, trying to add a another oscar that's unable to be sexed could spell disaster but I've added a divider into the tank and will add the other one this weekend so they can see each other for a week or two before trying to remove the divider. If that doesn't work out I'm not sure what I will do with them. I have jags and trimacs in another 150g and will to seperate them at some point in the very near future. I'm trying to get a pair of Festae, Jags, and Trimacs...three of possibly most aggressive fish out there.

Please don't let things like this influence you in future stocking idea's or fish you've always wanted while it sucks badly it's just a part of trying to house large aggressive fish.

But thanks for all the kind words.

Last edited:
Just an example to newbies who think it's ok to throw fish together... As juvies and see how these 2 were even as a mated pair....

Well they pushed the eggcrate barrier over three times so I just took is down, so far they've been busy testing each other so I'll just have to see how it goes. The male is definitely the aggressor compared to the unknown oscar.

Attachments

• image-2307983141.jpg
    image-2307983141.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom