I swear my fish know me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I know this sounds stupid but I really think my fish can tell the difference between me and other people that come to visit. When I come to the tank they come right over and expect food obviously I prefer to believe its because they love me so let's just go with that. they do act more timid with other people though. Does anyone feel the same about their fish?

Yep happens to me as well they come up for food when im there if its someone they dont normally see they go hide sometimes haha

What kind of fish do u have that act like that? ....... Sorry about the random ..... But this app on my phone is not working well ever since I upgraded to iOS 6 and now it won't post unless I make it a certain length so I have to put it in.

My guys do it too...all of them;) some come up to my husband and most hide from my kids;) mine are all over my hands and arms when I'm cleaning tanks as well...I think it's pretty neat:)

So do u guys think they actually can tell the difference between people just from sight? I think mine can I think people underestimate these guys intelligence.

My Platys don't seem to care if it's me or my husband, but my two dwarf gouramis will swim to the other side of the tank if my husband is near it. For me they come to the top and "click". Plus they will take food out of my hands and seem to cuddle my hands while I'm cleaning. lol it's almost like they are cats rubbing on my hands and arms.

my africans act the same. they love me, but are timid around others.

I've had some large new world cichlids react adversely to certain colors, for instance I had a male Parachromis managuensis that would bang the glass if I wore red, didn't matter if was a hat or t-shirt he'd go postal. Now these are larger more intelligent fish, I don't think you'll see that level of interaction with smaller cichlids. Another reason some of these fish are refered as "wet pets". But yes some fish can recognize who feeds them, rather than simple movement outside the tank.

Last edited:
Im the only one who feeds my africans so when i go to the tank they all crowd at the top. If my wife goes to the tank they act as if she isnt even there lol.

My Taiwan reef cichlid and I play eye contact games and he flares to alert the rest of fish when something happens in the tank. I also noticed that when the filter shuts off to clear bubbles from the filter unit the guy flags to tell me somethings going on. He literally flags me down by swimming back and forth against the glass fast. I also play a game with him. I take my face and put it an inch away from the glass and open and close my mouth in different patterns and he tries to repeat them. I am thinking of tieing a small ball to a string and teaching him to pull shrimp into the tank. I think after a few hours of isolated teaching when he taps the ball I then treat him. he might respond and remember it.

Listen I was that bored this afternoon I went on eBay & Amazon and ordered 9 Malawi cichlid books ;-) Crazy or what lmao,all books from 70's & 80's ;-)

i have a large Oscar who vibrates her tail @ me, and a small angel, in 2 tanks of course, who comes to the surface and goes nuts when i go in the room. but are trained to hand feed as well. and my Oscar lets me pet her! she is mt water puppy... and my angel gives kisses... lol

I have a black ghost knife that rubs up against my hand when I put it in the tank even if I don't have any food in my hand...pretty cool :)

Jesselav1233 said:
What kind of fish do u have that act like that? ....... Sorry about the random ..... But this app on my phone is not working well ever since I upgraded to iOS 6 and now it won't post unless I make it a certain length so I have to put it in.

I found the same thing ios6, but if you just hit return and go to the next line, you can then hit send.

My oscar also goes crazy when im in the room. Even a pike i got a week ago greets me when i come up to the tank

Back
Top Bottom