I think my Firemouth has Ich or Lymphocystis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiReMoUtH_GrL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He has a pimple-like thing on the side of his eye which is white and he didn't have before. I noticed it around 6:40pm today before I left to my friend's house, & since I couldn't stay home, I got some aquarium water, put it in a 5gal. bucket w/ & put him in it. Can you help me out because he's my favorite and most entertaining fish to watch... I took him out because I heard ich is contagious and didn't want my other fish to get it, too. All help is MUCH appreciated.

FiReMoUtH_GrL

edit- I went on a website w/ fish disease pictures, and it looks like lymphocystis (a.k.a cauliflower disease). His symptoms are: not eating much, spends most time at bottom not moving (only at night), and some days I wake up to see him discolored. Please tell me if it is indeed lymphocystis and how to cure it please.

=== My Quick Help Info ===================

Tank Stats
-------------------
Size of Tank (Gallons / Litres): 29gal.
Running for how long: 1-2 months

Water Params
-------------------
Temp: 74 F
pH: 7.2
Ammonia (ppm): ?
NitrIte (ppm): 0
NitrAte (ppm): 40
Water-change Schedule: every month or as necessary
Water-change Amount: 25-50%
Any Water Additives: Jungle Clear Water last week

What fish are in the tank, length, age, etc.
-------------------
Kissing Gourami, 2in., 4 weeks (buying a bigger tank for him/her soon)
Opaline Gourami (male), 2in., 4 weeks
Firemouth Cichlid (male), 1 1/2in., 2 weeks

===================================

my firemouth started losing scales so I put him back in the tank. he dropped straight & layed on the gravel for about 1 min. I thought he died & started crying a flood. My kissing gourami saw him and swam down there. He pushed my firemouth up & was helping him around! how sweet! I have a guardian angel in the tank... well, he was losing scales because my mom told me the bucket i had put him in, she used for moping & had soap inside. I added Stress Coat so his scales would grow back... Should I also add salt? If so, how much?

P.S.= I'M SO HAPPY! THANK THE LORD!!!!

Urk. We could have helped somewhat with the disease in terms of treatments, but its hard to treat poisoning like that :( I'm sorry. I wish I had been able to get here sooner.

You can try grabbing another container from the store, one thats never been used, rinse it well and keeping him in there with absolutely pristine water conditions (fresh treated water, matching pH and temp with the tank's), but its sounds like its even too late for that.

If he really is suffering, I would euthanise him. Theres a list of ways to do it humanely here: http://www.bettasrus.com/disease/euthanasia.htm

Thanks... my life can't get any worse! 1st, my firemouth dies, then, the whole county is on fire and my house is BARELY saved! :| 8O

Back
Top Bottom