I want a blood red parrot (Is that wrong?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I love the look and seemingly cute personality of blood red parrots. I have been trying to ignore them and not want one because they are man made frankenstein fish or whatever. But they are kinda cool looking.

Mostly I haven't bought one because I have heard about problems with their spines and swim bladders being deformed. And I have even heard they have trouble closing their mouths when older.

I guess what I really want to know....are these fish still cool a year or so after you have brought them home or are they riddled with health problems? There also seems to be disputes about whether or not they can breed, but I am not concerned with that as I only want one. However I do have a severum. Would a parrot breed with a severum? (Since possibly they may be the monster child of a red devil and severum.) Although I find that hard to believe as red devils are notoriously mean and parrot fish aren't described as aggressive.

I'm thinking about getting another tank and am curious about your experience with this fish and what tankmates it has successfully been kept with. As I would like to keep it with my severums. And I have also heard that they have trouble competiting for food due to their odd swimming and mouth shape. Is that true?

As far as the ethical questions regarding a man made cultivar - I only care about health consequences. If the fish has alot of problems down the line healthwise I'll find that sad and depressing. Also I don't want to support the making of deformed fish. However if people just don't like the fish because they are cichlid "snobs" and the fish isn't pure...well whatever. The fish now exists so what can you do. Any thoughts?

I personally have 3 Adult parrots and 4 juveniles. Two of the adults I got back in September and they are doing great. They do have problems closing their mouths, but it doesn't effect them in any way. If anything, they feed alot faster than the other fish that they share tanks with. I haven't encountered any health problems with any of them. In fact, two of the juvenile's are starting to turn from gray/black to yellow. Just make sure that the parrot that you buy isn't dyed or injected. As long as it is orange/red or yellow, you should be fine.

As far as tank mates, I have kept them with (not all at the same time, of course) Bala Sharks, Gourami's, Tetra's, African Cichlids, Eels, African Butterflyfish, and Mollies. Their personalities always adapted to the new fish easily. At the size they are now, I wouldn't put them back with the Tetra's or Mollies though.

I don't see anything wrong with these beautiful fish. As long as they aren't dyed, I see no shame in owning them. They are full of personality and great tankmates.

I feel that if someone has an ethical problem with the fish.. it is somewhat deformed from the fish it comes from.. Then the only thing they can do is not buy it or even more so dont buy any fish from a place that sells them. I personally wouldnt buy it.. but I wouldnt go so far as to tell my LFS that Im not going to buy fish from them because they sell it..

If you want to keep the fish, go for it. I've a friend that has kept them for years. His fish are happy and healthy. I've even seen them spawning (although they are sterile).

I don't have an ethical problem with them and think they have a terrific personality.

I've never had any problems with Parrots (and their longevity). I've kept them with Severums, Dojos, a Black Ghost Knife, a juvenile Jardini Arowana, Clown Loaches, Plecos, and even Emporer Tetras. They're really fun fish to keep... Interesting personalities! I'd say give them a shot--I think you'll like them!

-Wick

I have two adult Blood Parrots (undyed) and they are my favorite fish by Far. I have mine in my community 90 gal (see my signature).The only problem mine had was black spot, which they get when stressed. It goes away after about a week, It also appears sometimes before they spawn. If you buy them you should probably buy 2 as they like to be in pairs. They are a great fish with tons of personality . You wont be disappointed with these fish IMO.

Slow

I bought my parrots back before I considered the ethics of manmade hybrid fish, and they were the first cichlids I bought. They both have slightly crooked mouths that do not close, but they have never had swim bladder problems and have never had trouble competing for food- they are such pigs! :D They survived countless newbie mistakes, even an improperly treated ich outbreak. They do have great personalities, but be aware that some can be aggressive. There was a time when I couldn't keep my parrots in the same tank because the larger one wanted to harass the small one all the time. I kept the larger one with my severum, but had to move it eventually when the sev got larger and began to attack the parrot all the time. Now, surprisingly, both of my parrots live together without so much as a nipped fin. Slowboat is right, they do seem to enjoy each other's company, and prefer to be kept in even numbers (the odd one out in a trio will get picked on). To avoid aggression, you should buy them at the same time, from the same tank, and choose fish that are about the same size- that was my mistake and I believe the reason mine didn't get along at first. 99% of the males are sterile, so they will likely not produce any fry ever, although the females can breed with some other species like convicts. Parrots can grow to 8 or 9 inches, so if you choose them they will need at least 15 gallons per fish IMO. Mine live in a 35 gallon, 3 foot tank and that is probably the smallest I would go for tank size. They do well with active schooling fish that are too large to fit in their mouths, like tiger barbs or larger tetras. Plecos are fine with them, and cichlids of similar size and temperament will sometimes work too, just be prepared to rehome if you keep them with other cichlids. And FF is right, you have to be careful to not buy dyed ones and support that cruel practice. The easiest way to do this is to buy juveniles- they are gray and kinda striped looking when they are natural colored juvies. Then you get to watch them change color. :mrgreen:

I had one for years. The only thing wrong with it was that it was a Cichlid. I mean it destroyed anything that it did not like. It broke two in the tank heaters, moved the large fake plants that I thought were well anchored. It attacked and would have killed any orange or red colored fish that was put into the tank. I wore orange colored gloves when cleanng the tank and it would strike my hand. It did not hurt but if I were not expecting it would startle me and I would jerk my hand from the water and then feel a little silly. In fact it did not like any other fish and every so often would take off after any fish that ventured too near. I soon learned to put only fast little fish in the tank with it. It loved to be alone. And if I did not feed it on time it would swim to the edge of the tank and sit and stare at me in my recliner until, feeling guilty I got up and fed it. I find them no more unethical than a mule. It is bred between to other Cichlids just as we breed a small Donkey with a Mare to produce a mule. In fact I am looking for one now to put in my new 90 gal.
Fin

Caudelfins description is pretty much the decription of almost all Cichlids. They love to play in the sand/gravel, rearrange a tank, and will go after your arm. But everyone of my cichlids do that anyway. It doesn't hurt when they "bite" you. It's just the shock of it happening that makes you jerk your arm out of the tank. :D

The black line that they get really isn't an issue. It's more of an alarm. It's kind of like when humans get a fever, their face tends to get pale or really red. It's a sign of something is wrong. The black line that the Parrots get is a sign of either poor water quality, spawning, or stress. It will cause you to show immediate attention to the tank to figure out what is wrong.

I would also get them as Juvi's when they are gray with black stripes. They are so active. You will be able to watch as they transform colors. It's really cool. At first I thought mine had ich because of discoloration, but then two started to turn and now one is half yellow and half gray/black. Really cool.

I have some pics of the adults in my gallery. I tried to take pics of the ones that are changing colors, but they are kind of timid right now. I don't know if they feel vulnerable or what, but they hide everytime I get too close to the tank.

If the parrot is dyed, it will fade. But the red/orange and yellow ones are not dyed, they are natural. Their color will not fade.

If buying a parrot ciclid is wrong, then so are fancy goldfish. By that matter, so are dwarf dogs (like basset hounds and corgis), giant dogs (like great danes), and "extreme" faced dogs (pugs, bulldogs) and cats (persians).

All of these are genetic deformities that will cause the animals problems at some point in their lives.

I have a fairly large Parrot in my 80 with a Severum, Red Jewel, Salvini and an Elctric Yellow Lab.

I adopted him from the tank that my boss has at work and he's loving his new home and tank mates. He was in a 25g with no heat and only fed fish flakes, and it was way overstocked with all kinds of wrong fish.

caudelfin mine does the exact same thing, if they are all hungry they swim to the top of the tank and stare at me if I'm on my computer or walking around the basement!

Mine stare at me all the time too. I always tell people they're giving me the evil eye. :twisted: :lol: They follow me around the tank and the larger one attacks me every time I do a PWC. :roll:

I'm gonna get a pair. First I have to convince my husband that the living room doesn't actually "need" a couch AND a loveseat. The loveseat is mostly only used by dogs and company. Plus the dogs aren't really actually supposed to be on the furniture........and I'm positive any company will be so happy standing in front of the fish tanks staring that they won't actually notice there is nowhere for them to sit. Second I have to convince my husband these parrots are cute. This might be harder as he thinks they're the ugliest things he has ever seen.

Do you plan to get a new tank for them? The way your 55 gallon is already stocked, you wouldn't have room for them IMO. :?

Couch? Who needs that? :D We don't have a real kitchen table and chairs, or a cabinet, or bookcase in the living room anymore. Priorities. :D

Back
Top Bottom