i want angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

right now you see what i have in my tank, and ive heard that barbs can be finn nippers. I have 4 long finned rosy barbs, 3 females and 1 male. I have always wanted angel fish, but i fell in love with the rosy barbs. I also have 4 dwarf gouramis in my tank and the barbs haven't bothered them at all. They also don't nip at their own fins which are very long and flowing. Ive heard the rosy barbs are a lot less aggressive than say tiger barbs.

Do you think it would be safe for me to get a pair of angels? I have always wanted to keep them.

Well, looking over your current stock, I would say no. This is only because I'm thinking long term and the adult size of the angels, when they will need @ 10g by themselves.

Also, barbs and angels just don't get along comfortably, no matter the species...the angels fins are too exciting for them to pass up a nip or two.

Meredith said:
I would say this is the perfect opportunity to get yourself a new tank :D

I would love to, but im a full time student. My husband and i both work, but we are only 20 so we have to be conservative with our funds. I guess i will have to wait on the angels... or wait for the other fish to die... how long do rosy barbs live? lol, just kidding. I really do love the long finn rosy barbs, they are so active and pretty. I don't even like the short fin rosy barbs that much. but angel fish are just something ive been drawn to ever since i was a little girl. I have a thing for long finned colorful fish.

Just a thought......ask your lfs if they will take your barbs back? Even without a refund if you want to have an angel that bad? I returned an angel, CAE, 9 white clouds and 2 honey gouramis back to my lfs just so I could breed my keyhole cichlids. They were cool about it. I even told them I didn't need a refund, but when I returned them the lady at the lfs asked: Sure you don't need anything? -Well, test strips are always nice to have! And I got myself 20 free test strips. 8)
Maybe I'm just lucky with my lfs though. They are very keen on people who want to breed fish and sell them back to them though. :lol:

that is a thought, i really like the rosy barbs though, will the angels be ok with my other bottom feeders if i did this? and the gouramis?

Angels are compatible with all your other fish. I hate to see someone give up one fish in favor of another, but I guarantee you will love the angels. They have personality and feeding will be quite interesting for you to observe.

Here's a pic of one of my angels (code name Aramis):

aramis.jpg

giving up fish

I hate to give up fish too but I just gave up my clown, yo yo, and zebra loaches for other fish. My tank was not suitable for the clown loaches (29 gallon) so I decided to start over. I kept my angelicus loaches b/c they are so unique (and expensive). My lfs give me a full credit on everything I bring back. They also have given me full credit on fish that have died in 24 hrs of purchase. Actually they told me I don't even have to bring the dead fish back anymore. Fortunately that hasn't been needed much.

I have angels now in both of my 29 gallon tanks and they are hypnotic. Of course, I think most of my fish are hypnotic but my angelfish have so much personality. I'm more satisfied now with my current tanks than I have been since I started back last October. I know the knawing, nagging feeling that one has when they want a certain kind of fish, but have no where to put them. In my case a larger tank was out of the question. Luckily someone gave me another 29 gallon tank with, of all things, an angelfish.

The only warning I would give, is you have to keep in mind that angels are indeed cichlids.

I've had angels that were flat out nasty to my other fish, not allowing anyone above the plant line. But seeng as you have them in a 55 it should be ok.

awesome, thanks for all your input, im going to try a couple of angels with my current set up... if they get to mean, or git picked on by the rosy barbs, i can always take them back.

Two adolescent to adult angels should be able to make peace in a 55g tank. If you go for the itsy bitsy ones (quater ie 25cent size) you could have more, but then if they all prosper you have too many when they ge big.

I could not imagine a tropical communtiy tank that did not have an angel fish!

i plan on buying about 4-6 small ones hoping that at least two will pair off. Then, when they pair off, i will give the others back.

Back
Top Bottom