Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410396792.296310.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410396889.863969.jpg I can't tell what that white spot is on his tail?! Help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hard to say from the pictures but doesn't look like Ich to me. Ich is small white spots that sit on the surface of your fish like grains of salt.

Oh okay, I'll keep an eye on it... Not sure what It is...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410407442.499447.jpg what is going on with her side fin??

Is there a recent addition to your tank and how long have you had them?
Reason I ask is that this happens a lot with new fish, new tank or a recent addition bringing diseases into your tank. Usually for ich and torn fins, raising the temp to around 85f or so with very frequent water changes and a little patience has worked for me.

Is there a recent addition to your tank and how long have you had them?
Reason I ask is that this happens a lot with new fish, new tank or a recent addition bringing diseases into your tank. Usually for ich and torn fins, raising the temp to around 85f or so with very frequent water changes and a little patience has worked for me.

Exactly what I would have said if gilpi hadn't

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might want to treat it anyways its easier to kill ick if you do it early.. better safe than sorry

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so I will raise the temp slowly everyday and add salt and do frequent water changes?? And this will help the fins if it is ick??? I think I'll do it just to be safe. I've just recently set up my tank about a month ago, and I bought the tank for my one cichlid stripey the one in that photo with the right fin, and so than I waited acouple weeks and added three more cichlids and than about a week later I bought 3 more....they don't act funny there all active and eating well. I just wanna catch it early if it is ick ...

What are the parameters on your tank and how big is it?

For treating ich, all you need to do is crank up the temperature to 86 degrees. Increase the temperature to 86 degrees by increasing the temperature by 1 - 2 degrees every hour or so until it's at the desired range. After that, keep it at that temperature until 1 week after there are no longer any signs of ich. Using this method you don't need to bother with the salt.

One caveat to this rule, increasing the temperature increases the toxicity of ammonia. So with your tank being relatively new I question whether or not it's cycled.

The lady at the pet store gave me this bottle of stuff that starts your new tank for you. It was aqua start safe plus or something like that... She said all I needed was that and my stress coat for water changes. So I did that my tank was foggy for acouple weeks but I finally got that cleared up. And everything seemed fine until the fins.

Thats not a reliable method of cycling a tank at all honestly. They rarely work. However, on that note, I would highly suggest taking a water sample to your lfs to get it tested before doing the heat treatment.

What is your water change schedule?

I try to do a 20-30 % weekly..and I have done a 50% to get the foggy to go away faster. But I stick with 10-30 % weekly. And I got test strip kit for my nitrate and ph and all that and the only things that kinda off is my water hardness but not by much.

And also I have a 45 gallon tank.

Aren't they from Africa? Might be Ebola.

So it's a new tank and new fish, you probably have cycling going on as well.
For ick, as mentioned... temp up and frequent partial water changes will help you both with the ick and to remove high levels of ammonia and nitrites if your tank is cycling.

Have you checked ammonia and nitrites?

Back
Top Bottom