Ick, it's ICH.... Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It started just like it did the last time, with juvenile Ps.Aceis. I found a corpse this morning, and I see two others showing signs. This time, however, I am prepared. I have two oversized heaters, and I am in the process of slowly cranking the heat up to 86 o. I'm debating on the salt, though. Is it harmful to Malawi Cichlids? I also have a Rainbow Shark in there. Is it going to be able to tolerate the heat/salt?

Also, I'm wondering why it starts with the juvie Aceis. They are the newest and the smallest in the tank. Could it be that they are being stressed out by other aggressive fish, which would lower their defenses? With my last run of this, I lost all 3 Ps.Aceis. A few of my other species had small affected areas, but they cleared up with treatment.

Are your water params good?

I'd be really curious if I were you, as to why you're getting hit with ich often. It's not natural for a well-kept tank.

What size tank is this?

I've never heard of keeping a rainbow shark in a cichlid tank, but maybe it's not that odd. I would dose the salt at half-dose considering the shark.

LyndaB said:
Are your water params good?

I'd be really curious if I were you, as to why you're getting hit with ich often. It's not natural for a well-kept tank.

What size tank is this?

I've never heard of keeping a rainbow shark in a cichlid tank, but maybe it's not that odd. I would dose the salt at half-dose considering the shark.

Rainbow sharks are fairly common in Malawi setups. I agree, half dosage of salt.

The params are good. I don't have them with me or I would post them. 55 gallon. Other stats in my profile. I have a couple of ideas as to why I picked up the ich.

1. Both times it showed up about a week after a trip to the Pet Store. They may have already been at the parasitic stage when I purchased them. Yes I know I should have a quarantine tank, but that is not feasible for me at this point, so I need to just roll with it as is.
2. I have an overly aggressive M.Johannii in there (that I am soon to sell/trade/donate). I wonder if he is beating on them and stressing them. I have not witnessed it, bit fins look a bit ragged on the infected fish.

Thanks for the 50% advice. I'll go with that.

I have read that a salt bath in a solution of 2 teaspoons/gallon for 30 minutes for infected fish is effective. Has anyone had good results with this?

Ich is not an individual fish disease, it's an entire tank disease. I can't see where the salt bath would help the entire tank. Perhaps if I had one fish that was absolutely covered, I might try it. But I observe my tanks multiple times on a daily basis to ensure nothing would ever get that bad.

Didn't realize you'd had new fish both times. That'll do it, for sure.

You might want to rethink your lfs, if your last two purchases have brought ich into your tank.

LyndaB said:
Ich is not an individual fish disease, it's an entire tank disease. I can't see where the salt bath would help the entire tank. Perhaps if I had one fish that was absolutely covered, I might try it. But I observe my tanks multiple times on a daily basis to ensure nothing would ever get that bad.

Didn't realize you'd had new fish both times. That'll do it, for sure.

You might want to rethink your lfs, if your last two purchases have brought ich into your tank.

I should have clarified. I was planning to treat the entire tank at 1/2 the salt, but then treat the heavily infected ones with the x2 salt bath. I should have also mentioned that these were two different LFS. However, LFS get new additions constantly. I can see how ich would not be uncommon at LFS.

Ich can spread on a fish very quickly. With these I noticed a vague tiny opaque spot on just one and made a mental note to check it later and the next day would find that 1/4 of the infected fish (singular) would look practically leprous. I think that young juvies are just not as tolerant and are more susceptible to it, so it spreads quicker.

Hey thanks again for your input and advice.

Hmm, maybe this is not Ich. Picture I see of Ich show small white spots. In my case, I see swaths of white areas that look like skin is actually dead and deteriorating. It covers sides, top, bottom, fins,even eyes at times. When it gets on the fins the fins literally fall apart. It's been fatal for nearly all fish it has affected. Last time I treated for Ich because I thought it was Ich and it cleared up. I have lost 3 of my 5 new Ps.Aceis now, and I anticipate the other 2 will be dead in the morning. Ideas?

It is definitely not ich. Ich looks like salt on the fish, it's unmistakable. It sounds like it might be a fungus, but it's hard to say without pics.

Salt is helpful for fungus too, but there are cheap and effective medications that can even be picked up at places like Wal-Mart. If that is what you decide it is.

jasadell said:
Hmm, maybe this is not Ich. Picture I see of Ich show small white spots. In my case, I see swaths of white areas that look like skin is actually dead and deteriorating. It covers sides, top, bottom, fins,even eyes at times. When it gets on the fins the fins literally fall apart. It's been fatal for nearly all fish it has affected. Last time I treated for Ich because I thought it was Ich and it cleared up. I have lost 3 of my 5 new Ps.Aceis now, and I anticipate the other 2 will be dead in the morning. Ideas?

Make that 5 of 5 :( I did not get pics. If any more come up with it I'll get pic.

jasadell said:
make that 5 of 5 :( i did not get pics. If any more come up with it i'll get pic.

It looks worse in water. See that patch on its back?
BTW one good thing about PetSmart: 2 week no questions asked warranty. $35 cash returned.

ForumRunner_20120114_131829.jpg

ForumRunner_20120114_131847.jpg

Back
Top Bottom