ID african cihlid female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elkairos

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw this cichlid carry before. She is a female. Which means it is not a saulosi.

Attachments

• image-3926252263.jpg
    image-3926252263.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 99
Looks like a dwarf cichlid..

Attachments

• image-3515340037.jpg
    image-3515340037.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 96
Kenyi don't have the black stripe going across the top fin.. And the stripes on the body fade into the top fin.. I have Kenyi, and this one looks much different. Also it seems to have more stripes on body than Kenyi do

Kenyi don't have the black stripe going across the top fin.. And the stripes on the body fade into the top fin.. I have Kenyi, and this one looks much different. Also it seems to have more stripes on body than Kenyi do

Kenyi do sometime have the black stripe on the dorsal fin and not all have the vertical stripes fading into the Dorsal fin.I still say this is a kenyi.

Another picture... I'm leaning towards this cichlid to be a hybrid of some sort then. Elongatus and Kenyi?

Attachments

• image-4192701772.jpg
    image-4192701772.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 52
If you google Kenyi and saulosi.. My cichlid looks a lot more like a saulosi, but I had seen my cichlid with its mouth full, as if it were carrying. It spit them out or ate them with two weeks ( first time perhaps?). Female saulosi are yellow though, which is why I am confused because despite the majority of opinions, my observations say it doesn't look like a Kenyi. Nor is it behaving like one.

If you google Kenyi and saulosi.. My cichlid looks a lot more like a saulosi, but I had seen my cichlid with its mouth full, as if it were carrying. It spit them out or ate them with two weeks ( first time perhaps?). Female saulosi are yellow though, which is why I am confused because despite the majority of opinions, my observations say it doesn't look like a Kenyi. Nor is it behaving like one.

It's body also has a "long" appearance to it and is not stout like a Kenyi

The solid black stripe on the dorsal edged with white isn't typical of a kenyi. The typical kenyi also has 5-6, broader stripes than the fish in the pics, which has eight. I have seen kenyi with more, narrower stripes than typical, but rarely and those were seriously in-bred. The pattern combination on the fish in a the pic rules out a kenyi.

I'd suspect one of the species from the Pseudotropheus elongatus complex.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom