ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allenk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just looking for a second opinion on these guys. I bought them as F1 cynotilapia chinyankwazi but I'm not finding to many pictures online of young ones to compare to. They few pictures I have found they don't seem to be as blue as mine. They are around 3/4 inch right now.

Attachments

• image-561756336.jpg
    image-561756336.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 120
I hope that they are what they say they are. They just look an awful lot like socolofi's

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay since they were "f1"

They were 10$ a piece. I bought them from a local store that breeds and sales mainly mbuna and peacocks. He ordered them from Cichlid Exchange. Would be pretty disappointed if that's not what they are because I deal with the guy alot would hate to think he was just blowing smoke. They do look a lot like the pictures I just looked up of socolofi. I guess I will just have to wait and see as they grow. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Here's a little better picture

Attachments

• image-1130907984.jpg
    image-1130907984.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 85
Based on what I seen of cynotilapia sp chinyankwazi that picture you posted doesn't look like any juvenile I've ever seen. I checked cichlid exchange and Wet Spot neither of them have chinyankwazi on their fish lists.

So likely your LFS ordered a mixed mbuna and tried to separate and ID them themselves or mixed something up once they got the fish in store. Cichld Exchange/Wet spot is probably one of the best wholesale/retailers in the country I highly doubt they mixed anything up, likely your LFS is blowing smoke.

Yeah the more I research the more I'm starting to realize that. I guess that's what I get for not doing my research first.

Sad part is I also bought some f1 demasoni from him at the same time which now I am doubting that they are truly f1

Always be leery of anything labeled as F1 unless it comes directly from a reputable source like Wetspot or Dave of www.davesfish.com because more than likely they are slapping F1 on there to jack up the price. I also make it common practice to not buy WC or F1/2 with out a well known collection point attached .

Yeah and I know better then that to. I have just been dealing with the guy for a couple years now and made the mistake of trusting him on a species I was not familiar with. Lesson learned at least socolofi are pretty cool to just not as rare. And even if the demasoni are not f1 demasoni alway look cool.

Back
Top Bottom